CLOSED: 2017 Ugly Mug Swap!!! Interest Thread

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings Fellow DG Stragglers:

Welcome to the SEVENTH ANNUAL DG UGLY MUG SWAP!

Whether you are a coffee drinker or herbal tea sipper, you have to appreciate the way it hits you when it sits in your favorite mug. Do you stroll the garden in the morning mug in hand? Do you sit feverishly in front of your computer at midnight slurping a caffeinated beverage? Perhaps you're barely awake at 4 o'clock a.m. and just starting your day. Why not give and get a mug to remember for years and years to come?

This swap started years ago when I lamented my shabby collection of coffee mugs AND the summer doldrums we experienced when it got too hot to ship plants and bulbs. Thanks to the DG annual mug swap, I now have a cabinet full of special mugs from so many of you, and I am so grateful for each of you being a part of my every day. :)

Express interest here and like group trades of old, when the sign up ends, you will receive a Dmail/email/instant message from me with the identity of your secret mug trading partner. I recommend not revealing your superman/woman identity but rather wait until your partner learns your Gawd-Awfulness when they open the magical box that arrives by Priority Mail. On this thread you can share your likes and dislikes so your Secret Swapper (SS) might better get to know YOUR special elixir preferences, favorite color, caffeine or not, flavored or not, etc. Please send me and only me the delivery confirmation code when you ship priority mail so we can keep track of packages.

This is only a mug trade, but feel free to include items that might accompany a morning cup of ____________. The mug you send to your SS does not have to be ugly! It's only a figure of speech as in, "Show us your ugly mug."

We are not to be deterred by petty membership on social gardening websites.
Let's decide as a group whether non-DGsubscribing former mug swap participants can reach out to us from other sources (email, social media, etc.) to participate.

Kindly send me a Dmail to confirm that you're in.

Please provide me your full name, email address, shipping address, and telephone phone number(s).

RESERVED FOR PARTICIPANTS:

Amandaesq
JoesWife
Taters55
CvilleGardener
Alikat

Now let the *swipping* begin!

~Amanda

Contact me by Email at: amandaesq@aol.com
Contact me on Facebook at: amandaesq
Contact me on Twitter at: Critterkeeper

This message was edited May 31, 2017 9:43 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm in, I feel good about inviting from social media, would be nice to see some old friends. Maybe we can make new friends? :D
I love anything, coffee, tea, herbal teas, I use a regular mug for my drinks. I am really looking forward to see what everyone wants to do.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I am in too.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wheee!

Welcome new and old Mug Swappers. :)

It's delightful to be back in this space this time of year. Wouldn't miss it - or I would really miss it. hee heeee

I have had a couple of near devastating mug losses this past year. I am so attached to my mug in the morning I carry it with me into the car and then into work. I have dropped and damaged at least three of my very favorite (let's face it they're all my very favorite now). Fortunately, two of the three (that I can think of) are still useable. The third broke completely, but cleanly, and it did not affect the design on the mug. So - it's one that will turn into a pencil holder or just a place holder in the cabinet forever.

I promise to be more careful and not be so attached to my mug. Swear.

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm in as well. I have no objection to participants from wherever. I'd love to see old friends here again as well as new ones. l'm not sure the formal DG rules allow that but I'd hate to see people barred because they aren't subscribers. Of course, they can't see these posts so that makes it tricky.

My favorite colors are turquoise, aqua, cobalt, and green. I usually drink decaff coffee but regular is okay too. I don't like flavored coffees but coffee liqueurs are good. I'm loaded with various kinds of teas. But if you have a special tea that you love, I'd love to try it too. :) I collect mugs from places I've been so I would definitely like a mug that tells me where my sender lives. Just an idea and I wouldn't be disappointed with anything I receive.

I have broken a couple of older swap mugs too. Beyond repair. :-/

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Nice collection of mugs.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Happy Mug Swap time! I thought I'd missed it already and am SOOOO happy I haven't! No mug mishaps this year....although hubby did break a beautiful stoneware baker's dish....all the coffee mugs have been safe! PHEW.....I drink out of my "I'm not fat I'm fluffy mug all the time at work! " Love my muglee friends - count me in Amanda!

I loved my driving the karma bus mug. It broke, and then my Bee Mug went to work. My Pink Breast Cancer Mug is still at work. I need to bring them home cuz I am retiring next week.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Can't believe your retirement is so close. Where does the time go? Congrats!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Congrats on retirement! Now there will be more time for gardening!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So proud cause I remember the bee mug. Congrats (?!) on retirement(?!). :)

Ali-welcome! Good to see you back.

I am, slowly, putting a list of past participants together to alert them to the uglee mug trade. I'll let you know if I hear anything asap.

Oh, my aching bones. Haha. Now off to job #2.
Enjoy your day!

xo
A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I saw Clemen's name on the FB page. That made me happy. I haven't heard about her in a long time.

oh wow she is one of the first peeps I met from DG.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I added her to the group, but I don't know if she'll participate yet or not.

I've set the sign up deadline to be 6/15 with packages to ship by 6/30.

If anyone is not also on FB we should figure out how to streamline this process.

We have 8-9 participants now?

C'mon girls. Let's recruit some swapperz. ❤

Winnetka, CA

Hi Amanda,

I sent you a dmail... (actually a couple...-:) ) I'm not on FB... but add me to the list... -:)

I have been putting the word out for you... so glad I didn't miss you guys this year.... Nancy

Hey Nancy, glad you joined the swap.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too.

me three!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone!

I've had one busy JUNE so far! Last week I was out every night with school events - getting home after 9:30pm each night! I was so happy to see Friday! This weekend I got to spend some time in the gardens...chasing butterflies....

And we are remodeling our bathroom - we put in a rock feature last week which will have some nice pendant lighting and some spa like decorations.....we just finished installing the hard wood flooring as far as we can do with the nail gun....LONG day!

I've been refreshing myself out of my favorite mug "coffee with catitude" in honor of my 20 year old kitty Stache that we had to say goodbye to in April. He was a great cat....we miss him tons! After water, and soda, I'm now enjoying some rum in my cup! It's such a good drink holder!

The cool sun photo was taken by my friend Tina....love it!

My box might be one of the last ones sent....I have students until 6/20 and staff until 6/23 - after that I can relax a bit and am taking vacation that last week in June.....so I'll be hunting around for some clues and fun stuff for my box!

What have you all been up to!??

Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32 Thumbnail by AliKat32
Winnetka, CA

Wow Alikat.... that is an amazing photo your friend took... what is that little blue dot in the top above the sun? A reflection of something? Love that mug!! Giving me some ideas... -:) Nancy

Ideas for my mug...
I like hummingbirds, angels, any type of flower. Anything to do with gardening. Any type of cute dog or cat.
If you send any goodies, i love any type of chocolate or cookies.

I also love Hummingbirds, any kind of birds, flowers, herbal teas, any coffee, passing on any candy. HAGD!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Good Morning My Muglee Friends!
Just finished walking the dog and looking at the gardens....love the early quiet mornings! I love wind chimes; garden figures like frogs, turtles, dragonflies; and treats - any kind I really haven't met one I don't like. Mugs - I love them all - big/small; thin/chunky, cool sayings or cute pics! I don't have any bee mugs and am on a mission to get some as this year as we sponsored a hive. My friend lost 3 out of her 4 hives....so we bought a hive and she's taking care of it! I'm a beekeeper from afar (just how I like it!)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

oh - the blue dot is some sort of distortion - I saw that and airbrushed it out on my computer - weird but it must have something to do with pointing at the sun!

Winnetka, CA

Hi there fellow muglees!

I love early, quiet mornings too!! Especially in the gardens... I like the evenings in the garden too - there is a certain light about the garden then that is lovely.

I have been thinking about my preferences for a while and it's always hard to narrow them down...but I can say without hesitation... coffee, coffee, coffee.... I like tea, but far prefer coffee.. -:) I tend to lean toward the Asian or African coffees vs. South American. I usually drink coffee from Starbucks, whole bean... (I have a grinder)... . Dark roasts like Italian, Sumatran, Komodo Dragon etc.... but I also like Peets - I'd like to try their New Guinea Highlands ...it sounds good, but I haven't seen it in my local store....any dark roast from Peets would be lovely.... I also like Six Depot's coffee which I purchase online - they have some great dark roasts... see what I mean? Hard to narrow it all down. LOL! (oh and bring on the caffeine... I don't care for decaf...) (Linda I still remember that 'Heart of Darkness from Six Depot and those cookies... blueberry something or other....omgosh!! Yummmmm....) -:)

I too love all pollinators... hummingbird moths, butterflies, bees (love all things bees, skeps, hives etc), hummingbirds... (most garden birds in fact) I have a certified monarch way-station so all the flowering plants that grow for pollinators are favorites of mine. I grow lots of flowering tobacco which draws in a ton of hummers, especially in the evening when the fragrance lets loose.....I especially love sweet peas and roses... cottage garden type plants and vines. I'm kinda old school that way... My favorite colors are lavender, blue and soft pinks and some yellows (the pastel types).

Does anyone like hot chocolate? I'm not a fan myself, but it would be good to know if others are.

Oh... and my favorite cookies are those big peanut butter type... omgosh... I am getting so hungry typing all this!! Can't wait for this swap ....

Nancy

I love hot chocolate.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm also a Certified Monarch Waystation, Nancy. Happy to hear you are too.

Winnetka, CA

Cville.... happy dancing... LOL! Glad to hear it.
I so enjoy providing a habitat for the monarchs... it's not just good for them... but for me too!! Nancy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've reworked some of the back but it's still a Monarch Waystation.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Winnetka, CA

-:) pic makes me want to open the gate and go inside! LOL!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello fellow mug and bug lovers!

Today is the last day to sign up for our fun swap. :)

I'm off tomorrow so I will contact everyone individually and issue mug swap partners.

For those of us who are not on FB, be aware that we have carefully vetted (!) And can vouch for everyone.

If you are not on FB but have posted your preferences here, I will forward that info to your secret swapper.

If you have any questions please ask them now.

Look for Dmail from me tomorrow.

Very excited, and I know you are too!

As always, thanks for playing.
xox
A.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2017 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mug swap sign up is closed!

All participants should have had a secret swapper Dmail! I will post the reveal thread today - working remotely and having a time with the interface, but I should have it posted this afternoon.

A handful of us have FB pages also, and are communicating there as well. I'm going to try to find a mutually convenient spot to share as a group so FB members and DG members can post at will.

Thanks for playing!
xo
A.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness....I sold a ton of milkweed on my seed site and grew some for a plant sale and talked all about saving the monarchs....how do you become a certified monarch way station....I really want to do that!

Love hot choc and tea is my favorite.... :)

Winnetka, CA

Hi Alikat...

Here is a link that you can use....

http://shop.monarchwatch.org/product/Waystation-Certification-Application/190004

You can also just google Monarch Watch and navigate from there 😀...so happy to hear that you are interested in certifying! I certified several years ago and have quadrupled my plantings since then. I also added many Passion vines for the local Gulf frittilaries.

Take a look at the link and keep us posted!! Nancy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm not seeing the Reveal thread?

Winnetka, CA

Hi Muglee partners... do we have a reveal thread? Nancy

Still waiting.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry for the delay Friends - it's been non-stop.

I'm looking forward to seeing some fun stuff on the Reveal Thread!

Follow us to the new thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1450321/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.