Need Help with my Rosebush

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Hello, I am new to the forums.
Last year I moved in with my boyfriend. There is a rosebush in the front yard which was a Mother's Day present for his grandmother who ended up passing away a month later. Because of this, the rosebush has a lot of sentimental value to him and his family. Last year I noticed that something wasn't quite right with the bush. First of all there were no roses blooming at all the entire spring/summer, just leaves. The leaves would sometimes turn yellow and shrivel up, and the branches seemed a bit droopy. This year it's even worse. I live in Philadelphia, PA and we had a huge snowstorm in the middle of March. This year I noticed that a lot of the branches wouldn't grow leaves at all and I suspect they might have died off during the winter. There is only one small branch near the bottom of the plant that has any leaves on it. At the beginning of spring there were two other branches with leaves, but those leaves have already shriveled up. I am not sure if those branches are completely dead, or if there is a chance they could grow more leaves. I have attached some pictures, and would be grateful if anyone has any idea what's going on. I suspect there might be a nutrient deficiency of some kind, but am not completely sure and would like the opinion of some other rose growers.

Thumbnail by the_tiny_one Thumbnail by the_tiny_one Thumbnail by the_tiny_one Thumbnail by the_tiny_one
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I can't tell if the growth is coming up from the roots. Pull the rocks away from around the bush and trim off some the dead wood. I'd cut the dead wood back by 1/2 to start with and see if there is any new growth. Do you happen to know the name of the rose?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the soil: too acidic or something. The rose appears to be nutrient deficient.
I'd move the rose. I don't think it's going to make it where it is. I'd dig it up now during the spring to give it good spring weather. Get some good soil: if you have to go to a box store etc. to get soil, be sure to get potting soil vs. topsoil. Since this is an important plant, I'd go to a reputable nursery or garden center to get some good bagged potting soil. Dig a hole twice as deep and twice as wide as the rose bushes roots. Put it in full sun or at least 6 hours of sun. Get your hole dug before you dig up your rose. Also, mix the purchased soil with the ground soil. You don't want to just fill a hole with bagged potting soil. It needs to be mixed with your soil. Water the rose the day before you are going to dig it up and again after it is planted in the new location. It may pout for a year or two but may keep it alive. I don't think it will make it through the summer as is. It appears it must have been a climber as it looks like it is in front of a trellis.
I'm just guessing. It just doesn't look like it's getting the correct nutrients.
This is what I would do. You may want to go talk to a nursery/garden center about the problem.
I wish you the very best with this precious rose and please keep us posted.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

At least dig up the plant and see what is going on or what isn't going on. You may just need to improve the soil an re-plant it.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

check the bottom of the leaves to see if they are infested with insects.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I need advice on planting a Rose that I rooted in water since last fall.This is a picture of it.

Thumbnail by cytf
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Man, rooting roses from water. That's a new one. The only advice I can give you is to plant it in some good potting soil: Pro Mix is what I use. Keep it very moist as it is used to lots of moisture. Eventually slow down on the water after about hmm, maybe two weeks or even three. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thank you for the advise birder17.Will keep you posted.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Since it's a rose stem vs. a perennial plant stem, I'd keep the soil moist for longer that 2 or 3 weeks to help the plant transition from water to soil. The roots may be very rigid so careful when planting.

We are low in phosphates in our soil here in Western NC. So I give roses, along with other plants, some bone meal. I think you can buy Super Phosphates in separate bags from the usual rose food but I used the bone meal because it's organic.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee the_tiny_one, sorry to say but it looks dead to me. Are all the branches brown and brittle, snapping if you bend it and brown in the center also? If the last photo of new green growth is from the base, check if it is below the graft if the rose is grafted.. Many roses are grafted on sturdy roots from another rose. I think in looking at your photos, the named rose that was bought died and now the rose below the graft is trying to survive.

Hi Kell It's not a graft ,I rooted a stem from a Rose that was pruned . I rooted it in water since in the fall.No it's not dead that's the roots that grew after all this time.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

cytf, sorry for the confusion but I was talking to the_tiny_one who started this thread about her rose bush and her pictures. Your cutting looks fine..

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

woodspirit: just a word of caution when using bone meal: be careful not to inhale the stuff. You don't know what kind of diseases these animals had before they turned into bone meal.

Thanks for your advise birder17.

Yes, thanks Birder. I have been using Bone Meal for years and nothing has gone wrong but I will be more cautious, especially about breath any in.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

I've seen quite a few roses both wild, old roses and cultivated ones, but this if it's a rose it will be a surprise for me. 'If it looks like a rose, smells like a rose, then it is a rose.'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.