bulbs are sprouting

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

My daffodils are coming up. It has been unusually warm and wet this fall. We should be under 6 inches of snow right now but it is raining and going to 10 C today which I beleive is about 50 F. This is pretty much what all of November has held for us.
What will this mean come spring. Will they die then re-sprout or are they done and should I pull them out now?

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

This has happened to me before and I just heaped chopped leaf mulch on top, to gain some time. A storm is headed our way, so I will be having snow soon and I think it may hit your area.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 9:09 AM

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

what a wacky winter so far....... I'll mulch the heck out of them and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

yes it is a crazy winter so far. today was 15C outside. my bulbs are up also because there has been no chill to keep them dormant. a bulb starts to grow in August when a new set of roots grow. the shoot then starts but it should be held back by the cold but that isnt happening. provided your bulbs dont bloom now they will be ok. but dont pull them out just yet. all you might have is spring 2002 before winter 2001.

Mark

This message was edited Thursday, Dec 20th 3:33 PM

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I havn't pulled them Mark. They are up about 6 inches now. Our weather man is calling for minus 7C for tonight then more balmy temperatures so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

if they are 6 inches high already are you sure you planted them deep enough? daffs noses should be 6 inches underground.

Mark

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I put them in 6 inches... they are in a raised bed. Would that make any difference? We have about 4 inches of snow now so it is more seasonable

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Mark, same problem here in NC, and my daffs are planted at least 8" deep because of our climate here. Iris are coming up, everything including Oriental Lilies. Pussy Willows are budding and have seen forsethia (spelling) in bloom. Local experts say if some azaleas bloom now their pattern will be set and will forever bloom in Dec. Wierd weather pattern here also. You're not alone Gwydion!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Same here. The daff. are coming up heavy. These are 10-12 years in place. Also the Star of Bethlehem are up but they were up in mid December. Haven't bloomed as yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.