Growing Cut Flowers

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

So I decided to take the plunge and am growing cut flowers for my farm stand and a bouquet rack in town. I got a few Dahlia tubers last spring from the local Dahlia society and was able to connect with an enthusiast from the society who has interesting varieties. Over winter I selected well over 40 varieties and 60 tubers which I just finished planting. The labels were cut from old metal blinds I found in the garage and are pointed away from the sun so they don't fade. I've found quite a bit of good instruction from Floret Flower Farm (www.floretflowers.com/) on her blog entries and was able to make 8" spaced burned holes in landscape fabric. I also found the irrigation tape (Aqua-traxx) easy to install under landscape fabric. I spent winter hunting interesting annual seed and they've been germinating despite the cool & wet spring. A couple ones I'm thinking will be good are Cosmos 'White Cupcakes', Nicotiana 'Lime Green', Pennisetum glaucum 'Purple Majesty' and Michauxia campanuloides, an odd drought resistant biennial. I made a pinterest collection of what I'm growing so I can check my colour palette: https://www.pinterest.com/hortusexplorus1/cut-flowers-2017/ Hopefully, finger crossed, I can make some nice bouquets this year.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2017 4:45 PM

Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.