Best Squirrel Deterrent

Oak Ridge, TN

Squirrels regularly climb up to my second-story deck to dig in my plants (but not actually attacking the plants) and tear at the fabric grow pots I have my potatoes in (they dug UP the potatoes in the past, but never actually chewed on them.) I have a layer of pine cones on top of all the pots where they'll fit, they won't fit in all my pots & they're still chewing on the fabric grow pots. It isn't dry (last week we had 7" of rain,) I use a (mostly successful) liquid deer repellent in my front yard but I don't want to SMELL that stuff when we sit on our deck. I think I want some sort of powerful capsaicin spray, I'm angry enough to try Bear Spray (but I know better.) HELP!!!!!

Thumbnail by cluelessnTN Thumbnail by cluelessnTN Thumbnail by cluelessnTN
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I sprinkle crushed red peppers or red pepper. Works until it rains.

Oak Ridge, TN

THANK YOU- I've sprinkled Cayenne Pepper over everything, I need to buy a VAT of it at Big Lots (instead of a tiny bottle for $3.) I honestly don't plant things (or feed birds outside of winter) that lure in varmints, what are you trying to keep safe? : )

Oak Ridge, TN

I think the Cayenne has worked, it obviously has to be reapplied when it storms like heck (last 2 weeks in east TN,) I just wanted some Dave's Garden voodoo curse to yell at the squirrels so they leave my deck alone. I also have a bunch of confused Hippeastrum throwing up flower heads that I'd love to see bloom. I give them as gifts & take them back to over-summer. If their blossom stalks get gnawed off on my 20' deck I may bring out my .22. Grrrrr

Thumbnail by cluelessnTN
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Anything that I plant in a pot gets sprinkled. They love to dig up fresh dirt!

(Zone 8b)

Quote from plantnutz :
I sprinkle crushed red peppers or red pepper. Works until it rains.

I never thought of squirrels as a pest, and am surprised you don't side with the squirrels what with your username! :')

I'm surprised this works! Do you reckon this is because they find the scent uncomfortable when sniffed?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I actually do side with the squirrels just not digging in my potted plants. I feed the birds and they benefit from that. Other people complain about the squirrels and their bird feeders but I say they are all God's critters and I don't mind feeding them.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Freshly ground black pepper. Not the kind that is already ground. Get a cheap pepper grinder from a thrift store if you don't already own one and after planting, or disturbing the soil, grind pepper over the site. Repeat for the next two days to be sure. It always works for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.