Anyone grow Annual Vinca (Catharanthus roseus)from seed?

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hello. I am trying to grow some annuals to fill in before the perennials get large enough in my White Flower Border. I have a few established plants, and I had to remove some items that were overgrown, like lilac suckers and a ground cover that went amuck.

One thing that I have never grown from seed is vinca. I read that it is very difficult to grow from seed. It has to be kept warm, easy enough, but other factors may come into play since it is so tiny and slow-growing it is prone to a host of various fungal diseases. It must be completely covered from light until it germinates.

Does anyone grow this plant and have you had good success with it? (I do not have a greenhouse, but shelves and heat mats.)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Well, it doesn't appear that anyone has. So far, mine have sprouted, but are still very tiny.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I grew some many years ago when I didn't have a light stand. I didn't keep good notes then, so all I remember is that they were pretty enough but less than a foot high. I don't remember having any trouble growing them from seed, but didn't try them again.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I grew some many years ago when I didn't have a light stand. I didn't keep good notes then, so all I remember is that they were pretty enough but less than a foot high. I don't remember having any trouble growing them from seed, but didn't try them again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.