Mole invasion, Help!

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

My neighbor buried mole spikes in her yard (battery operated ultra sonic sound and vibrations) Now they are all coming over to my yard, I've put wind wirlers all over in the flower beds (2 for a dollar on clerance, tooo gaudy, LOL). And my cat Mufasa is killing them, today alone she left 3 on the back deck. I can not afford the spikes and will not put out traps or poisen, What else do you suggest?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It sounds like your cat is doing just what she should do. Traps are truly the only way to get rid of moles, Michele. Wish I had better news, but that's the sad truth.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's a never ending battle.My mom won her 30 year war this year with the varmints...she sold the farm and moved.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

And the farm was purchased by a large, hungry family of cats who lived happily ever after. ;o)

Geneseo, IL(Zone 5a)

I heard caster oil. I don't know what it does to those critters, I know what it does to people!!

LOL Bon, apparently they don't like the smell but you have to reapply the oil every week and after rainfall.

There are so many ways people have tried to get rid of moles. A British comedian wrote a very funny tale of his own mole problem if I can find the script I'll post it.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Many people will plant castor beans as the plant is poisonous and the moles seem to eat the roots. Let me know if you want to try that route if you don't have any other luck. I have plenty of Castor bean seeds :o)

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

From what I've heard, the moles are after the grubs. You can put chemicals on your yard to get rid of the grubs & thus the moles. One of the univeristies did a study & Milky Spores are supposed to get rid of the grubs too. It is rather pricey at first, but you're not supposed to have to retreat it. I don't remember the web site, but perhaps if you do a search on milky spore it'll come up. You can get it at garden centers. I've tried about everything, including the vibrating spikes, they don't work for me. Of course, I have 2 acres & too costly to buy enough for that whole 2 acres, but the area I put them in, it didn't deter them a bit. I'm thinking of trying the milky spore this spring in certain areas & see how it does before investing in enough for the whole area.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.