Hard Viburnum Question

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

At least it's been a puzzle for me.
I purchased three viburnums. One was V. juddii, One was carlessii, and one was V. carlessii "Mohawk".
One shrub died when some massive yard work was done I cannot remember which is which.
One blooms about a week before the other. All are intoxicatingly fragrant. The leaves on both of them are a dull, fuzzy medium green. The one that blooms a week after the other I believe is Mohawk as it is dwarf in comparison to other Viburnums. It's shape is a lovely round shape and after 25 years is about 4.5' tall. But, what is the other one? Is it carlessii or juddii?
Or do I have the "dwarf" one mixued up also? I hope someone can tell me which is which.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll defer to the Man whose sobriquet celebrates this handsome genus of shrubs.
But I'll bet he's gonna ask for pictures ...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That would be the DG member known as Viburnum Valley.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

And he's asking for pictures...

Have I become so predictable?

Going out on the proverbial limb...since you claim you don't know anything at all about these plants other than they smell good (agreed) and that one is still small after 25 years (I think Paul Simon sang about such a plant). Here's what I think, at least until I get home to my photo resources and the Valley viburnums where I can go collect my own demonstration samples:

º The small one is Viburnum carlesii 'Compactum'.
º 'Mohawk' is NOT a dwarf, reaching 8-12' easily.
º Given that you say the foliage looks the same on both plants, your second plant is probably Viburnum x juddii - it and V. carlesii foliage are not very different.

Pleasepleaseplease take pictures of the whole plant(s). Then take pictures of the leaves, and then of the flowers, and present them either a) in contrast to each other in a posting; b) grouped all images of the same plant; and/or c) both ways!

This will be educational to all (here is what Viburnum A looks like compared to Viburnum B), as well as helping you see the differences in plants you've lived with for 25 years.

Jackson, MO isn't that far away - don't make me come out there...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

"don't make me come out there"... LOL

And yes, you have become that predictable!

Sigh...

"OK, VV..." (as in, OK Google, or Alexa, or Siri, or Et Al)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Taller Viburnum
Well, I had already taken pictures of the taller Viburnum. The leaves on both Viburnums are pubescent and a medium green.
This Viburnum is rather vase like in shape. Anyway, here's the pictures I have already taken. I'm pretty sure the other one must be V. carlessii 'Compactum'.
I apologize for the sideways picture. I have no idea what went wrong. Took all of the at the same position with my camera (e.g. upright).

This message was edited Apr 1, 2017 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Compact Viburnum
Here's pictures of the small, compact Viburnum:
My landscape picture is sideways again. When I download it, It is Upright. I've tried rotating it to be sideways then download and it still is sideways on Dave's Garden. I don't get it. If someone could tell me what's wrong. All pictures are taken upright on the camera.

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's from last year, but here is my 'Susie' a not yet in commerce compact viburnum that darling Gary and Sue Ladman hybridized. First year bloom. First two pics.

The second is Blues 2 (third pic). Even smaller.

I just love them! They fit in teeny tiny spots.

By the way, even having ti tilt my head, your viburnums are gorgeous.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2017 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

I don't see anything in birder17's pictures to change my opinion.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry to be confusing. I agree with you.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think you have it correct. I finally have it figured out which is which.
Thank You.
Viburnum burkwoodii 'Mowhawk' has shiney leaves. Niether of these two do.
So, one is V. juddii and is a lovely shaped shrub and I like the V. compactum's shape also. So, I'm happy. :)
But, hey, how can you go wrong with a Virburnum? We have several Doublefiles also which feed the birds. This is an added bonus.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Doublefiles absolutely float my boat. I have four of them across the back yard to block out incredibly nosy neighbors. Best looking physical block in the world, even prettier than miscanthus, which I adore and have used for the same purpose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.