Growing Trader Joe\'s organic potatoes

Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

I have chitted potatoes from TJ's, but the bag doesn't tell a presice variety. It just says organic gold, and organic russet potato on the bags...I have just learned this evening that potatoes have determinate and indeterminate types-like tomatoes which will affect how I grow my potatoes. I am trying to figure out which type these potatoes are....It seems that my russets are likely indeterminate which means a late season variety, but again I don't know for sure what type. And I think the gold is either an early season or mid season potato that could be a determinate variety. Does anyone know, or has grown TJ's brand of potatoes? I will be growing in bags, which is why it makes a difference for me and my methods, don't want to be wasting time and space. Any help where to look or advice is welcomed. Thanks all.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello. Well you learn something new everyday! Right? Your question aroused my curiosity. Here's all I could find for now on wisc.edu website. Indeterminate: Russet Burbank, Snowden, Bancock Russet. Determinate: Yukon Gold, Norland, and Superior. Indeterminate, but behaves like Determinate: Russet Norkota and Gold Rush. I hope this helps. I'll let you know if I find anything in my numerous gardening books.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from greenbrain :
Hello. Well you learn something new everyday! Right? Your question aroused my curiosity. Here's all I could find for now on wisc.edu website. Indeterminate: Russet Burbank, Snowden, Bancock Russet. Determinate: Yukon Gold, Norland, and Superior. Indeterminate, but behaves like Determinate: Russet Norkota and Gold Rush. I hope this helps. I'll let you know if I find anything in my numerous gardening books.

I know, so much to continue learning. Gotta love it. Thank you for your research and response. I posted in another forum and someone replied claiming they have grown both and believe both are determinate and they grew well for them. So we shall see. I tried my best to figure out the exact TJ's variety, but couldn't. Should be fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.