Dahlia

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone grown Dahlia from seed. If so, how long did it take for them to bloom?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I haven't but after reading this post I was walking past a local gardener who stated that from seed she got blooms and tubers easily in the first year. I was surprised but she said it's been quite easy from seed.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Planted some tall dahlias "Monet", "Loverboy", and "Who Dun It", the seed sprouted within a week on all three and each seed came up. I pressed the seed into a pot of moist soil, covered them with a sifted potting mix just the depth of the seed itself. Misted everyday just to keep the top moist and viola!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We plant seed in early February. They are blooming in May when we sell them.
Good variety is Figaro mix. You get beautiful colors.
We don't bother with saving the tubers. Much easier to start from seed.
Bernie

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone! I will plant some seed.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I purchased 2 Dahlias this season, and I am going to try to save and plant the seeds.
Bishop of Llandaff
Clair de Lune
Thanks for the tip!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

They are easy from seed but they don't all bloom in four months. I collect my own seed and aim for similar to Bishops Children. It usually takes until fall to see a bloom from early seeds. Also, I start later and just aim for a tuber to overwinter. That way I don't have to keep them under lights. I don't do the low bedding plants. Results are mixed but it is fun when you get something you like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.