What\'s Blooming 4

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will have to try and move it.
Keith, everything is so lush and green by you.

Oxdrift, Canada

All the blooming sedum are attracting a lot of bees, butterflies and butterfly moths these days

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

It sure looks beautiful Keith!

Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you Robin

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful. You definitely have more control than me, Keith. I can't resists new plants so I'm always trying to fit them together instead of considering the design effect first.

Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you Loretta, looking forward to more if your posts. I suppose now that I finally have things going you guys are already burned out

Oxdrift, Canada

Loretta,
I too am a sucker for trying new plants, but up to now more so in annuals than perennials. I am slowly converting one large annual bed to perennial. That is where I was posting the sparsely planted tulips earlier. Sparse only because this was their first season. I planted 9 oriental lilies in there at the same time last fall and they are all about to break bloom shortly; 3 yeĺlow, 3 red, and 3 orange. It looks like an orange one is going to be first to open. The Burning Hearts False Sunflower below has just given me it's first bloom . I adopted it from a local greenhouse this spring.
I guess you could say my 2 main passions in the garden are annuals in containers and non hardy succulents in containers. Both not exactly belonging on this forum and therefore only show up here incidently when photographed with perennials.
Keith

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

Oooh, I like it!

Oxdrift, Canada

Yeah, me too. The combination of the perfect flower colour for my new scheme along with that near black foliage is really eye catching

This message was edited Jul 17, 2017 12:23 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

Perennials can pose a real challenge when one decides to do a total colour scheme change like I did 3-4 years ago. When you last saw this corner of the house the star was the pink sorbet peony which is a remnant of the old pink, blue, and purple scheme. Now the lilies that I have no idea why I planted in that era are fitting in very well in the new scheme of red , yellow and orange. By good luck rather than good management the peony has lived it's life before all the new colours come into bloom. I couldn't just get rid of such a healthy perennial
Keith

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Like the Helianthus 'Burning Hearts'. So, how tall does it get? Is it in a container?

Oxdrift, Canada

It gets 26-30". It is planted in the bed

That color scheme looks great too! I wonder how many lilies you planted in that spot...do you have a name for those yellow lilies?

Oxdrift, Canada

Sorry to let you down Robin but I do not have a name. Can't swear to it but I believe I just planted 3 lilies total. There are actually 3 colours but only the yellow is visible. The other two have orange and red in them. Wouldn't you know it, I managed to get the shortest one at the back. Only the yellow one is double. They were sold as a mix at the time. They have always looked really good with each other but didn't used to go with anything else in the yard, they are finally very much at home.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

You were right Keith - we're definitely in a holding pattern trying to survive the heat. Today is the first day of a 6 day 'excessive heat warning' with each peak temp expected to be > 100. Lows in the 80's. Yuck! Sultry, oppressive. The plants look miserable. It's our typical mid-summer swelter. Patiently awaiting some cooler temperatures toward end of August.
The only flowering plant worthy of a picture is Dichroa versicolor, which I have to overwinter in the garage.
Oops, gotta run - have to move the sprinklers!!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

Yowsa, those temperatures are too much for me. That is a pretty plant, never heard of that before.

Oxdrift, Canada

1. For Robin. These are the other 2 lily colors that you couldn't see behind the solid yellow
2. Monkshood

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Monkshood? I always thought that was a fall flower. Your lilies are incredible, Keith. Most of mine are in part shade so they don't increase like yours did. I had a few bloom but I've been getting lazy about keeping up with photos lately. I'm so behind on the weeds! They take off in July and it doesn't get better until frost.
Burning Hearts False Sunflower is beautiful! I haven't seen it for sale around here. I came across this heliopsis at a local arboretum. I think it is called Summer Nights. I did buy that one last year but it didn't return.
More blooms from the arboretum...not necessarily perennials because really, how many active threads are here anymore.
2. Stewartia
3. Calycanthus 'Hartlage Wine'
4. Kniphofia
5. Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm' - guessing, not labeled

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Go for the annuals, Keith. Most of them are tender perennials anyway.
1. verbena bonariensis with whatchamacallit in the background -toothache plant - spilanthes
2. Gomphrena 'Fireworks'
3. Emilia
4. Shrimp Plant
5. Euphorbia, heliotrope and salvia or similar

This message was edited Jul 20, 2017 2:07 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Oxdrift, Canada

Now that's the spirit Loretta. Very nice. Love your heliopsis too. That would fit in here real well. Funny you should comment about the monkshood being a fall plant. Everyone that I know here has spring ones. I had made 2 attempts at buying them and always ended up with fall ones. I was lucky if I ever got blooms because they were so late. Then a couple years ago a friend was over in late fall when one of them was blooming and asked me what it was. She couldn't believe it when I told her it was a monkshood. She said all hers bloomed in the spring and her leaves were different. The next week she dropped 2 different ones off in my yard when I was away. This is one of them. The other has a two tone flower with white in it. It looks like It has some kind of bug this year and is not going to bloom. I have since pulled out one of my old ones
Keith
PS. Please keep the posts coming. I love to see all your different plants

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The last two posts were all from the Frelinghuysen Arboretum. The rest here will still be from there except the first one.
1. Helenium - cute miniature potted one found in container in Chicago. Look at the sweet potato vine leaf for scale. Which reminds me of Wee's earlier comment about getting to visit gardens when traveling with others and no, I didn't get to see the Chicago Botanical Garden.
2. Back to Frelinghuysen - Nicotiana sylvestris
3. Check out Redbud - Ruby Falls newly planted. Very nice, I think. Better than Forest Pansy? I'll have to remember to check on it late August and see what color the leaves are. I read Forest Pansy doesn't hold the dark color but I couldn't say myself.
4. Astrantia
5. Annabel with Joe Pye weed ready to bloom from behind.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Monkshood always disappeared in July for me but maybe a spring plant would be better.

Oxdrift, Canada

That Ruby Falls Redbud is to die for. Things like that make me long for a warmer zone but then I hear about your crazy heat and I'm quite pleased where I am

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's what air conditioning is for.

Oxdrift, Canada

Can't afford that, spend all my money on plants and deer repellant. LOL

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to see you're putting up lots of pictures again, Loretta!
I'm still in survival mode - trying to coax my guys thru the heat spell.
My wife is heroically moving hoses throughout the day.
Supposed to get rain and some cooler weather Sunday - I surely hope so!
I have fall monkshood which do great - in fact, a little on the rambunctious side.
But I appreciate their late bloom since not much else is blooming in October.
I've tried a few spring aconitum without much success.
And Keith you were mentioning a bicolor, I have a monkshood called 'Bicolor' which has been disappointing - seems to flop, color is often muddy. Here's about the best picture I could find, which is from end of October.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, Bicolor sure is photogenic here. I'm pretty sure that one was one of my failures. As for hoses, we have had a nice pace of rain this year. I have hardly done any watering besides containers. Should I even say that? I've noticed the weather reports have been brutal in other parts of the country but we haven't had many days over 90 and nights have been relatively cooler. Maybe not by Keith's standards.
Keith, in NJ. you really want to have AC! We finally got one that actually works. My dog is so happy. He starts suffering once it goes over 70. And I don't tell my husband how much money I spend on plants.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did take a few fast picks in my yard today.
1. This is ratibida pinnata blooming for the first time. That I picked up at a Master Gardener sale last year. I was in the prairie mood.
2. Liatris spicata -
3. Lychnis - I guess Maltese Cross. Doesn't look like the pictures. I haven't gotten one spherical cluster and it sprawls all over the ground.
4. One of the calendula varieties - I have never had a fancy calendula live up to the catalog yet. Sticking with the straight forward one from now on.
5. Asclepias incarnata - this one seems to be the nicer of the pinkish milkweeds that I'm trying so far. The leaves are more graceful and it gives fall color.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2017 10:00 AM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Yes, we had a week-long spell of over 90°, and I thought that over 80° was too much for me. Now 80° feels relatively cool! My window A/C stopped working on one of the hottest days, I ran and got one at Home Depot. Sears was out of the right size. It is suppose to heat up again this coming weekend!

Oxdrift, Canada

First of the 9 new Asiatic Lilies i planted last fall to bloom. Orange Ton. Huge and stunning colour. Very pleased. Pronutto Red and Yellow Country to follow. Looks like a 2nd orange to follow before we get to see a red or yellow
Keith

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

So nice!
I only have a few lilies since it's too hard to protect them from my deer.
Loretta, your plants look great.
Asclepias incarnata was too aggressive for me.
I haven't read about it being invasive, so I'm not sure why it's so exuberant here.
Meanwhile, I'm suffering through a ridiculously prolonged hot spell.
100+ degrees again today - 5 days in a row.
They had promised a cold front Sunday w/ blessed rain,
but my depression deepened today to hear the promised rain for Sunday will be south of us and we'll continue to swelter.
So I hope Keith will continue to post his summer beauties,
as I await more hospitable weather.

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Wee. I will try to oblige

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is oppressive! Glad it didn't make it to the east coast this year. We usually follow your weather by a few days. Deer have been visiting me now. They are sticking to the tomatoes, galinsoga and even chewed on morning glory. Not what I'd expect. They haven't eaten the lilies or hostas. Last year they picked out phlox and aster but skipped those too. Go figure. I just can't understand how they pass over so many plants to get to whatever the current mood is.
Keith, that lily is like a beautiful sunset. So rich. I have a couple of lilies still blooming. Unfortunately, I didn't photograph the more interesting ones that are over, but these are on now - mostly versions of white. Not such great pictures again. I haven't been going out when the light is good plus they need staking because they aren't in full sun so I get their faces how I can. I should mark them now for next year, right?
1. I don't even remember having this one. It could be it hasn't bloomed in a while.
2. I like this one with it's yellow stripes.
3. A favorite of mine - Salmon Star
And they all smell good, like a funeral parlor! That's the problem with lilies.
4. This one is a friend's at the community garden that I help run. Very pretty, right? I'm guessing it is a Spider Lily/ Peruvian Daffodil - Hymenocallis.
5. This gladiola is also from a friend at the Community Garden. Pretty.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2017 11:12 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice Loretta. Thanks again

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Another from the Community Garden - Caster Bean
2,3. While I'm hear, I'll show you my son's Eagle Project from 2 years back. He did a limited mobility section for the CG.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Oxdrift, Canada

That CG looks very well kept. Those are an excellent idea for people who can't have their own space.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, Loretta, I'm surprised you have a hymenocallis overwintering happily for you. I was trying to figure out which one you have - looks kind of like hymenocallis x festalis or H narcissiflora, but both are rated zone 8 at best.
And as each year passes, I could put your son to work in my yard. Those raised beds would certainly be easier to maintain!

Oxdrift, Canada

Was out weeding for a while this morning until the clouds really started to build up for a storm we are having right now. Then grabbed my cell and started shooting; perfect lighting to get true colours
1. Queen of the Prairie
2. Forever Susan in foreground and Easy Samba behind
3. Hostas in Japanese garden
4. Vegetable garden
5. Don't remember name of this one. When I Google it the closest I get is Black Out but I know that wasn't it. Seems it was a 4-5 letter word starting with A

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

PS. If interested in any of my annual shots go to Propagation; The Basics July 2017

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wee, the hymenocallis is not overwintered outside and it is not mine. It belongs to a friend at the community garden. I've never grown them and I've only see pictures of them. I'm thinking they would be easy to overwinter like calla lily? Let's see how my friend does with it. I was thinking it looked like a bleached out Sulphur Queen?
Your vegetable garden looks great, Keith. I intended to put one in here but my plants ended up taking over the space. Queen of the Prarie is something else. I'll have to shoot over to Propagation and check out your annuals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.