What\'s Blooming 4

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

It's time to start a new thread. I found a few things that are now blooming.
1. helleborus
2. sweet olive
3. kerria japonica
4. narcissus

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding

The illiciums are blooming,
1. yellow flower anise
2. illicium henryi
3. illicium florida
Illicium georgia is not blooming.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love illicium! Weeding, have you seen the Spring 2017 thread? We kind of turned it into the new What's Blooming thread but without the right name. I leave it to you to decide which way to go.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1437870/

I did not see that one. I don't know if I would have post there come summer, because it is named Spring.

My Bleeding Heart and red Trillium are now blooming. I could not find my yellow and white trillium.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think we would have changed it come summer.
Your trillium is beautiful, something I never tried. I love the leaves.

I have lots of chipmunks I hope they did not dig up my white and yellow Trillium. I planted the trilliums last summer. Hopefully they will come up later.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That would stink. You might enjoy this interview I heard recently. Margaret Roach from A Way to Garden interviewed Tony Advent from Plants Delight. An interesting mention is the trillium laundering business. There is both an article format and a podcast.
http://awaytogarden.com/growing-trilliums-tony-avent-plant-delights/

Thanks Loretta!

The lilies are blooming now. The passion vine that I have tried to kill for years is also blooming. I wish they were not so invasive because the blooms are beautiful.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Passion vine is an expensive annual here. I did them once. They do put on a nice show.
Nice lilies. I've been killing the lily beetles from early in the season.

I know a lot of people look at this as a weed but I think of it as an herb. I like to place a little bit of wood sorrel on a salad and I like the blooms. Sometimes I will chew on some as I garden.

Thumbnail by weeding
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is that a wild oxalis with pink flowers?

It is wood sorrel (Oxalis corymbosa). The flowers are purple.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Strictly O. stricta around here.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A few plants blooming this weekend:
#1 Aristolochia fimbriata. Strange pipe flowers.
#2 A different type of metensia, M maritima. Same sky-blue bells from pinkish buds. Interesting dusty blue-grey sprawling foliage.
#3 Crocosmia Lucifer, I think
#4 Trollius. Not sure which.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Weerobin they are lovely. I had Crocosmia Lucifer, but lost it in the great drought a few years back.

Oxdrift, Canada

Very interested in the Trollius Wee. I ordered 2 this year by mail. I never noticed anything in catalogue when I ordered but after I got it I saw it was recommended for damp areas. Where have you got yours. I had ordered it to go in the bed where the tulips were that I am just transitioning to a perennial bed from annual. I ended up putting 1 there and stuck 1 in the bog garden portion of the Japanese garden. Will see what happens

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This is off topic but I haven't seen brendak posting anything this year. Does anyone know what is going on? Has she left this website or is she ill?
Last year, she was posting a lot of nice pictures.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ox, I can't remember where I got mine, but I've lost several before figuring out they like moist soil. This one seems happy. I've got several plants which like moisture and only light shade - a tough combination to find in my yard. Sounds like the one in the bog garden might do great!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2017 6:33 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks for the input Wee. I will try to remember to let you know the verdict in a year of so but no promises. That is becoming a challenge

Oxdrift, Canada

Hostas and ferns are quite OK with the very cool weather we are experiencing. Only annuals that are looking good are pots like this one that got a really good head start in the greenhouse. Unfortunately the annuals make up probably 80% of my landscape .
In the Hosta photo the tall ones in the back are Empress Wu and the little guy in the front with lots of ivory on the edges is Blue Ivory. The rest were bought as collectikns so i don't know varieties.
Keith

This message was edited Jun 22, 2017 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty! Your fern is so healthy! I've always admired Blue Ivory. How long do you have it? Is it slow growing or just new?

Oxdrift, Canada

Guessing ive had the Hosta Blue Ivory about 7 years, I have 9 of them and they are all about the same size. Don't know if they will ever be very robust but they are pretty.
The ferns are very healthy in this spot, however the ones off the back deck have a tiny green worm this year that is skeletonizing them. There are very few remedies that one can still buy in Canada. Everything is banned.
Keth

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Wee ~ From the former thread...Leptinella! I love it. I have been wanting some for my shady garden. Thanks for reminding me.

Oxdrift, Canada

One advantage to our cold rainy weather is there has been no need to add water to the pond. It is quite self filling. This is right outside the living room window so offers a great view and also soothing sound effects with the windows open.
Keith

Leptinella is a very attractive ground cover. I wish it was not so invasive. I already have 3 invasive ground covers that I can't seem to keep in control (mondo grass, wintergreen and vinca).

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

So green, Keith! Lovely!
Weeding, wintergreen is invasive for you! I can't keep that one alive and I can't keep Leptinella alive either. It doesn't overwinter. I wish it did because I love the low texture.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My leptinella is growing a little alarmingly - just planted it this spring. I tried it a couple years ago and it didn't overwinter. We'll see about this year. I'll have to keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get too rambunctious.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, I guess I skipped over most of early June. Lilies and hydrangea are starting.
1. ?
2. I guess Lily 'Lankon'? Smells good.
3. Calla Lilies are blooming too.
4. Lily, Eye Pencil
5. Lupine

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. A variegated iris.
2. A Japanese Iris with similar color
3. A delphinium blooming along the ground.
4, 5 First flower from a batch of Purple milkweed. Not as colorful as I expected.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Spigelia marilandica
2. Campanula 'Dickenson's Gold'
3. Clematis 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' or maybe 'Flora Plena'? This thing took forever to climb something.
4. Campanula 'Pink Octopus'
5. Echinacea 'Southern Belle'

This message was edited Jun 26, 2017 12:03 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

Simply stunning assortment Loretta. Great eye candy. Keep them coming

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Loretta, is the Spigelia maralandica aggressive or has taking ways? I bought a couple that are still in pots because I am not sure of where I want to plant them. I have a small 6 x 6 I could plant them in or I could plant them at the edge of the forest. What would you suggest?
I think those last two pictures on your first post is Asclepias incarnata, common name: Swamp Milkweed. It's perennial, and I think your pictures of them are quite pretty. It is the plant of the year this year. Thanks for growing them for the Monarchs and thanks for sharing.
I am going to purchase more hybrid Echinacea. I mostly have the native ones and I really like them. However, I have one called E. "Pink Poodle" and one called E. "Pink Double Delight" and I love them. You can really see them from your window. They are such a bright, lovely pink. They have been growing in my garden for years now. I had been told the hybrids don't last long. These two Echinacea hybrids have proved that theory wrong. Plus, I learned at a plant seminar last year if you pinch off the blooms the first year you plant them, they will last a lot longer in your garden.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Birder - Spigelia marilandica has not been aggressive at all for me. I think I put in 5 small plants to get that little patch. I'm not sure that all 5 are returning anymore but they have increased in size slowly but steadily. What do you mean by 6x6? A 6 foot by 6 foot area? Because that would be a lot of area for a couple of these to fill in. I grow in mine in bright shade. I've never tried them in full sun.
As for the milkweed, the flowers do look a lot like A. incarnata but I am sure it isn't because I have three of these and the leaves and habit of A. incarnata is noticeably different (and so far much nicer). They haven't bloomed for me yet.
Echinacea is a standout flower in any form for sure. You should try some if you don't mind winning some and losing some. I have a couple more just starting to bloom.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My spigelias reseed occasionally, but I welcome any seedlings as it's one of my favorite plants. Mine also in part sun - my most floriferous gets morning shade but very direct afternoon sun. I guess the more sun, the better it blooms. But I think it would cook in full sun, so forest edge sounds good.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And Loretta, glad to see you putting up photos again! Your plants look great, of course. I'm jealous you can grow delphinium & lupine. I can grow only a couple delphs (tricorne & exaltatum) but they're nowhere near as nice as yours. Lupines just melt around here.

Oxdrift, Canada

Pink Sorbet peony. The backgound of this view shows the proximity of the pond to the living room window.
Swath of sedum and thyme in the small rock garden behind the house. By the time the sedum is blooming yellow the thyme will probably be finished.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2017 6:05 PM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Look at that patch of thyme! How beautiful! Thyme is more like a biennial for me plus it is more successful if I keep it in a pot. I would love to have a walking path of thyme like you see in the magazines. Oh well. Not in this part of NJ.
Wee, don't be jealous yet. I bought the Lupines. They never made it to bloom from seed for me. Delphiniums are almost as bad so I bought that one too. It may return one year or not. I only went for the delphinium because the leaves were variegated. They turned green btw and the second variegated one I bought with it bit the dust just before blooming. Otherwise, I stay away from them.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Betony was being visited by several Wool Carder Bees - I had to look that up because I don't remember having them before.
2. Heliopsis - once upon a time I had Sunshine Lorraine but that reseeded to be a patch of solid green. I did get one or two variegated seedlings. Usually inhabited by false milkweed beetles but not so many yet this year.
3. I have a few astilbes but my yard is generally too dry for them. This one is Ostrich Plume but the flowers aren't as generous as online photos I see.
4. Rosa glauca doesn't bloom long but the hips are nice.
5. Oakleaf Hydrangea are blooming. This one is Snow Queen. The flowers seem smaller this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.