Which Azaleas

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This forum hasn't been active since 2015 so I probably won't get a response, nonetheless, I will try.
I am on the church landscaping committee and the consensus is to replace some very old boxwoods with some azaleas. The brick is "brick red" so don't want red as that would not be a good choice of color. I'm in zone 6b and the location is on the east side. So, the usual morning sun etc.
Which azaleas would you recommend?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Azaleas are tough to match with brick. I'm curious about what other people recommend. White is probably your best option but mine look terrible after they bloom and all the flowers turn brown. They cling to the bushes for at least a month. I'd probably lobby for something evergreen. Could you use camelias? At least their flowers fall to the ground and the plants look nice year around. Mahonias look interesting against brick and their yellow flowers are attractive.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

If you do go with azaleas I, too, recommend the white and perhaps a pink shade.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Gosh! I didn't think I would get any response. Thanks for your input. We have white azaleas. They don't turn ugly but just drop off when finished blooming. We planted them per some landscaper's suggestion, but I can't remember what they were. I've only pruned them once in 30 years and they look really nice. I'm glad you mentioned the ugliness factor as I didn't think of that. Maybe I will do some research regarding azaleas and their blooms dropping off.
No, it's too cold here for Camelias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.