Soaking seeds

Hooper, UT

Hi I started some Rose seedlings today and I was told to put them in warm water with a little bit of hydrogen peroxide and water before and soak them for two to three hours before I stratify them either in the fridge or however but they need cold stratification I did a lot of research before I purchase a seeds and I did find one of the customers that have purchased um and left a pretty good feedback and he sent me a picture of six Abyss plant so I know they grow but are the seeds supposed to float or sink when you soak
them?

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Some people swear that the seeds that float are not viable. I don't know how true this really is though. In my experience, I have had seeds that floated when soaked germinate just as good as the ones that sank. Now more experienced gardeners may tell you otherwise. I think that even if the chance of germination is lower, I will still give them a chance. Tossing seeds because they floated seems like a waste to me.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

April ~ Let us know how you do, OK?

Sacramento, CA

I also have some rose seeds, Rosa glauca (rubrifolia), do you put the seeds in the freezer or the refrigerator- I've read both. Also, I happen to have some Super Smoke sheets has anyone ever tried that? I only have a few seeds and really want some of them to sprout.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.