New Seed Library

Dallas, TX

The Dallas Public Library now has a Seed Library where you can 'check-out' seeds, donate seeds, and find many ways to learn as well as volunteer. You do not have to be a resident of Dallas or even of Dallas County to use the Seed Library. It's located on the 6th floor of the Central Library at 1515 Young St.

Some of you have heard me say that seeds scare me. I'm trying to reform. (Baby steps.) Nevertheless, I'm very excited that the folks at the Dallas Public Library have started a seed library. I don't think I need to tell any of y'all the importance of saving seeds. I did a little reading on the internet and was surprised to see a list of cities (not all in the U.S.) with seed libraries - approx. 500 cities. The other thing I discovered was that some states have worked hard to make seed swaps illegal. Even between friends. Very interesting (and horrifying) and will require due diligence. Fortunately for us, we have the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center right there in Austin where I bet they pay attention to any legislation that might attempt to restrict seed saving/swapping. Just saying.

In the meantime, kudos to the Dallas Public Library. The Grand Opening of the Seed Library is March 18th.

In case you want to read all about it, here's a link that I hope will work.

http://dallaslibrary2.org/government/seedlib.php

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

That is great news Joan!

Fort Worth, TX

Good idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.