Magnolia groing in Rose Shrub

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I need advice as to what I can do with the Magnolia seedling right next to a Jude the Obscure Rose Shrub. I'd like to save both of them. The Magnolia is about 2 - 3 feet tall. Suggestions?

For some reason my picture got turned sideways. I took the picture up right.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2017 4:39 PM

Thumbnail by birder17
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would water the site thoroughly - or wait till a day-long soaking rain - and then remove the Southern Magnolia.

You can use a normal shovel, but a spading fork would be better. Plunge it into the ground alongside the magnolia, and pry up to loosen the roots of the magnolia so you can lift it out - even bare root. That should preserve generally all the roots of the rose in place, and then you can replant the magnolia in a new home where it can reach its full glorious size (or pot it up for the time being).

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the instructions.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like absolutely perfect advice.

I have Juee too. It's developing very slowly, but the flowers are outrageous!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I do enjoy Jude the Obsure. The fragrance is outstanding. I need to prune mine again.
I haven't seen you around lately, hope your health is good. Anyway, welcome back!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been writing articles for Daves Garden, which is amazingly time consuming. And running and lifting. And cleaning up the yard, which takes forever, since I have lots of neighbors who don't take care of their properties. Was pruning the peach and sour trees last weekend. There is an awesome business called A to Z that rented me a pole pruner for $9 for 3 hours!

And I have started lots of fruits and veggies. And ordered lots of roses from High Country Roses. And my health is great. Thank you for asking, Sweetie.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

You are a BUSY woman. Congrats on writing some articles.
I have several seeds started in doors and some winter sown. The only ones that have sprouted thus far from the Winter Sown is Knautia macedonica.
Sorry way off topic.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2017 2:49 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's so cool. Some of my roses have broken dormancy. Tulips and daffs are saying "hi there" so I give them a little bulb food. Every time the temps go over 50 I am out there beating up the early weeds. It's amazing what sprouts. I also have a grassy weed the previous owner allowed to become establish, and the ground is damp so I'm tearing it out from the roots. I'm going to do some reseeding but also move geraniums around, since they fight off weeds nicely.

NO PROBLEM with being off topic!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.