New hydrangea

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

There is a new Annabelle cousin that is currently out for sale (I was not aware either). More compact and a shade of pink different than the others. Can be for sale at places that typically get Proven Winner Hydrangeas (but of course, the plant nursery has to order this one first):

Hydrangea Invincibelle Mini Mauvette is the very long name of this 2.5'-3' tall to 3-4' wide small version of Invincibelle, which is in turn a "cousin" of Annabelle. Details from the wholesaler: "A whole new color for smooth hydrangeas! Smooth hydrangeas are beloved for their big, reliable, blooms. But color has never been their strong suit - until now. Invincibelle Mini Mauvette™ hydrangea brings a never-before-seen color to the species, with large mophead flowers in a deep mauve-violet. Blooms are held on very strong stems and appear early summer through fall. Dwarf habit gives this native plant amazing versatility in the landscape and the garden."

Here is a link: http://springmeadownursery.com/plant/33880

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Let us know if you like it. I'm giving up on all the new hybrids until they've proven themselves in gardens around the country - especially in my region (Atlanta). I just got a rooted cutting of Invincibelle Spirit II last fall from a member in our begonia club. I guess the original didn't go over very well so now I have both and am hoping to see better results in II over the original.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I tried an Invincibelle but killed it when I forgot to water it during the whole of winter... sigh... I also tried Annabelle but it died due to a leak in my drip irrigation (so it too did not get water). Oh, me. I am starting to notice a bad pattern with these H. arborescens, hu? Hee hee hee! LOL!

Ruh-roh! Yep, need to water those thirsty plants from time to time. My original Invincibelle Spirit may be gone too - I dug it up and had it in a pot last year where it did fine. Just checked it yesterday and I see a stub there - thinking a rabbit might have gotten very hungry.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You know... when I first moved to this area, wild rabbits "visited" every now and then but something must have happened that they do not appear anywhere now. Hmmm...

You're lucky? My lilies and young shrubs (hydrangeas mostly) take a gnawing in spring before everything gets going good.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Found another new 2017 introduction. Diamond Rouge is a new paniculata from a french hybridizer (Jean Renault, the one who developed Vanilla Strawberry and Strawberry Sundae). DR starts white and then turns pink, raspberry and finally wine red.

http://www.baileynurseries.com/first-editions-diamond-rouge-hydrangea

PS - Is it me or am I noticing fewer "new" hydrangea introductions than in prior years??? Hmm.

Hopefully fewer as it is hard to keep up with all the "new and improved" hybrids coming down the pipeline. I may still buy a couple new ones this year but I have slowed down on buying them on impulse.

BTW - how's the weather there? We will probably be in the high teens/low 20's tomorrow morning so I bet most of the flowers of the macs will be damaged for this year. We've had such warm weather lately and now this cold blast will put a double whammy on the big leaf hydrangeas. ARGH!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.