(rubyw) Ruby Watts

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

"People who love this world, people who pay attention, are gardeners. People who are invested, people who are aware. They are gardeners
regardless of whether or not they have ever picked up a trowel. Because gardening is not just about digging. Or planting, for that
matter. Gardening is about cherishing."
- Terry Hershey

Long-time member Ruby Watts, known to us as 'rubyw' has passed away. Ruby was a very active member in our Mid-Atlantic forum and loved her home in Virginia. She was always interested in learning something new and experimented with a number of new-to-her activities such as winter-sowing and building a composter.
She was a pet lover and we all enjoyed hearing about her dogs and their antics. She aw also helpful and nurturing to new members and new gardeners.
Ruby was a ray of sunshine that we will miss in our garden family.

Thumbnail by melody
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm still stunned and saddened at our loss. Ruby and John were a special pair whose company was always highly anticipated at our gatherings. Ruby was a remarkable lady, both sweet and spunky, She fought her health issues with a determined optimism that made us think we could never lose her. Hers was the kind of light that just drew people to her... she left some of that light behind in our memories, but the sun dimmed a bit with her passing. I'm glad I knew her.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ruby lived with breast cancer for 10 years, a "non-life-threatening" form that suddenly and quickly metastasized last year. When she posted about it on her (public) facebook page, she said this at the end of her post:

"Hopefully a time is coming soon when the term pain is no longer a word in my vocabulary. Please take time today to count your own many blessings and do your best to cope with your ails. Keep an attitude of gratitude and it will be a much more pleasant way of living and learning. I love so very many of you and with I could send more at this time. Again, count your blessings and have a super duper day y'all."

In a later FB post (Dec 9), she mentioned the particular love she had for her DG "family."

'"I tried logging in to Dave's a few days ago and had to renew my subscription and was too tired to post after doing that and all else required. Would you please pass word word that I will be doing my best as soon as possible to drop by with an update. At this time please pass to Dave's Garden still very much loved friends that I always, always, always hold a great big special place for so many of the gardeners. I will check in with group as soon as poss Thank you Sally. I think of you often and always with a smile on my face."

If anybody would like to send John (her DH) a card, please Dmail me for their address.

HUGS

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Saddened to hear about Ruby's passing. She was a blessing to many here on DG and will be sorely missed.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
somewhere, PA

This is very sad news.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This was just posted in "Home Talk" by Fleur_2011:

OMG!! I'm so sorry to hear about this sad news about our dear sweet Ruby! I haven't been on any of my sites all that much, due to circumstances beyond my control! I did happen to find an envelope with her address on it, [when I was cleaning], from way back when she had sent me a "thank-you" note for doing a photo CD of the Marilyn Monroe photos I had taken when in Palm Springs a few years ago. She told me her son loved Marilyn Monroe, so I offered to make a photo CD for him.

I can only leave a message here [on "Home Talk"] expressing my condolences, because according to what I read on her "memory thread" - a person has to "register, sign in and subscribe" before leaving a sympathy post on that thread. So..I'm leaving it here!

I feel sorry for all of her family, friends and of course, her DG family, that she has left behind. I knew she was experiencing some health issues, but didn't really know that it was related to cancer! At least we can all take refuge in knowing that Ruby is no longer suffering in pain.

...I'm hoping I can keep my internet up & running, since I'm still looking for another job again! Hope everyone has a good week..despite this sad news we're all reading about...

RIP Sweet Ruby. you'll be forever missed and always remembered!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was so sad to hear the news, but very glad to see John at the get together at Jan's

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.