Melon problem

Yucaipa, CA

Have a certain somewhat rare melon that has what appears to be early powdery mildew. One website suggests spraying with a baking soda and water mixture. I am totally organic and want to stay that way. Any other idea's to entertain?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You can look online for milk mixtures which block light and inhibit powdery mildew growth. Be forwarned that control is best achieved in the earliest stages and, at best, might stave off the inevitable. The biggest problem, in my experience, is if your climate is humid enough to support powdery mildew you have to spray every few days and after every rain. If you go this route I can share that, after years of trialing, cheap powdered milk works as well as Whole Foods organic. Skim is as good as heavy cream.

My garden would be certifiably organic if it were not for the use of Daconil. It is the only effective control for the same and similar diseases in my vegetable patch. Unfortunately organic solutions have been ineffective. I'd be wary of baking soda mixtures. They will change your plant, and possibly, your soil pH.

What's your exotic melon?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.