Is it too late? Are my Papaya trees kicking the bucket?

Palm Bay, FL

Watering by sprinkler twice a day. Location SE. Regular temps: 78 day up to 50 night. Zone 9B.
I tried less watering, but it didn't work.
Can I still do something for my papaya trees or should I let them go?

Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I usually try to be positive but call the undertaker. Papaya likes it hot. You're about twenty degrees too cold at night. They might be able to take occasional temps at 55 but not steady temps below that. Where we grew them in Miami, they were never watered in winter and it is the dry season. When we have a cold spell in Miami they will drop leaves but usually come back. If the main stem is rotting the outlook is gloomy since its growth habit is unbranched and it has a hollow stem.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Some will branch, but that one the top looks like toast besides having mealy bugs? (white spots). I'm in central florida and we don't water ours as much as you have. If its going to be cold for several days or so, put some incandescent lights underneath it while covering the top with a sheet or blanket. Even better find a dwarf variety you can grow in a pot and drag inside if needed, preferably a self pollinator.

Palm Bay, FL

Thank you very much for your info...we moved to East Central FL not too long ago and seeing that there is papaya trees all over the place here, I assumed that they would survive and adjust well in winter time.
Then I was under the wrong impression that water would prevent my trees from dying by keeping the soil moist the day frost or cold temps were predicted. So when does this apply?
I will try to at least keep some alive. Water off!

What variety are you growing? Just know papayas are generally short lived. Established ones are more tolerant of cold. As much as they love heat and water they dislike cold and water.

HorseFeathers' suggestion regarding container growing is a consideration. Also, contact your local extension service for information about best plants and growing practices in your area. I grew up gardening in the tropics and am very thankful for my extension service with their help transitioning to the foothills of Appalachia.

Palm Bay, FL

I do not really know its variety, it all actually came from a papaya (fruit)given to me by a friend, I kept the seeds and planted them in pots first when we moved to the area and planted on soil later. I am attaching a picture of a fallen leaf, it might help to identify.
I just came from my garden from covering the two remaining "alive"...Regarding the third one, you were right: I had to call the undertaker, it is forever gone the poor thing.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2017 9:40 PM

Thumbnail by Arealuasandroid

Read here for watering and care/frost protection. http://www.tropicamango.com/papaya.html

Palm Bay, FL

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
Read here for watering and care/frost protection. http://www.tropicamango.com/papaya.html

Excellent article! Thanks very much.

One final question: if I decide to plant papaya trees in a pot, how big should the pot be to let the tree grow free?

I'm not sure how big the large composite pots are at the big box stores. Ten gallons maybe? I'd go for the biggest affordable one. But keep standard potting practices in mind potting smaller plants up as needed. I lived two hundred miles south of Palm Bay and have only grown them in ground.

Palm Bay, FL

Update: unfortunately, none of my papaya trees made it...the three of them died. Besides the overwatering, their stem/trunk looked awful, with big brown spots and white mildew in the upper part of it. Pretty sad to take them all down.
However, I would like to thank you for all the advice. I am getting 15 gallons grow bags for my next try with papaya trees...hopefully they'll make it in Central FL.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2017 3:41 PM

One more testimonial that gardening is about the journey and not the destination. I enjoyed your posts and sharing my limited experience. Thanks for sharing. You had noteworthy success bringing the plants to that point.

Palm Bay, FL

"One more testimonial that gardening is about the journey and not the destination".

So true...I love that thought. The gardening process is an everyday learning journey. Time for new goals and more experiences to share!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.