spring 2017

Oxdrift, Canada

That sucks Loretta. Miss your pictures

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Keith. It does but they were becoming overbearing and maybe I can start a more manageable system.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Loretta ~ How annoying! I am running and old OS on this desktop which is no longer supported. My laptop is Win 8. This is Vista...not great, but I don't want to lose my pictures. I can't even run IE on it. It tells me that I have 2 conflicting IP addresses, which I am sure that it was caused by doing a restore.It tells me I have no memory left, because the system saves everything instead of actually erasing it. So I have been using Chrome with no problems at all. I hardly ever use my laptop since I have a tablet and Android phone now. I haven't even been using my camera any more. I admit to using the phone which its primary function is really not a phone, but a camera and mini-computer. One of these days, I will get an extra hard drive and store the pictures on it, when I get a "round tuit". So busy in the garden and with seeds.

Good luck! Just when you get your computer organized with the programs that you like...I don't envy your task. I have been through that so many times I cannot count the hours of frustration. It is worse than waiting for seeds to come up or waiting for certain plants to bloom....

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Yikes. Computer nightmare. I always try to have a 12-year old around ...
Hope you get that camera back in action soon!
First real 'summer day' today - mid-90's, humid, warm nights - ugh...
Sadly many more to come.

Oxdrift, Canada

3 birds eye views of our Japanese garden

This message was edited Jun 13, 2017 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

Side view of our front entrance. Sorry I don't know how to fix these pictures that are loading sideways

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still looks Beautiful Keith Side view or not ,

Oxdrift, Canada

Lupins. We live on 40 acres about 11 km from town. When the kids were young we had horses for awhile. After we got rid of them I planted a bunch of lupins just inside the fence. Later we removed the fence and we now have naturalized lupins right up to the lawn at this time of year. In the shot taken towards the house you can just see the corner of the barn, now turned to storage shed

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

A few rock garden closeups

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

Quote from oxdriftgardener :
Lupins. We live on 40 acres about 11 km from town. When the kids were young we had horses for awhile. After we got rid of them I planted a bunch of lupins just inside the fence. Later we removed the fence and we now have naturalized lupins right up to the lawn at this time of year. In the shot taken towards the house you can just see the corner of the barn, now turned to storage shed

Keith ~ Just beautiful, Keith.

Oxdrift, Canada

Red tree peony now open

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous, Keith! You are talented at combining plants and landscaping. I love the containers by the entrance. The lupines are beautiful and I'm very jealous of your 40 acres.
The way to fix the orientation is you have to save the picture in the right orientation. Even if your photo viewer automatically rotates your view correctly, the picture isn't really stored that way. Anyway, that's how it works for me.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Keith, your yard looks great.
Totally jealous of the lupines.
I at least have enough good sense not to try them around here.
They'd melt for sure.
I recall a trip to Iceland where the lupine were magnificent.
They also had the most remarkable meconopsis.
Have you ever tried them?

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Loretta and Wee. No Wee I have never tried meconopsis. I actually had to Google it as I was not familiar. Very nice colour.

Keith ~ That's funny, I was going to ask you if you grew Meconopsis. If I lived in a cold climate or one with cool summers, I sure would try it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, the elusive meconopsis! We want to see them!

Oxdrift, Canada

1. Lonely iris
2. First waterlily bloom of the season. Pretty tiny. Guess it's time to buy some fertilizer tablets lol.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

So, here are my only fleeting 'successes' with meconopsis.
A few years ago, I managed to eek out a single crumpled Meconopsis x Sheldonii bloom (#1).
Similarly, a few years later, #2 is my single Meconopsis cambrica bloom - also a one-time 'success'.
I declared total domination of the genus and have since quit trying.
#3 is meconopsis from a botanical garden on the north coast of Iceland (Akureyri). Fields and fields of sky-blue blooms. Very pretty and frustratingly easy in their climate.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

I didn't realize they came in orange too. That would fit real good in my current color scheme

Oxdrift, Canada

A little off topic again but this is my favorite tree for this zone. Golden Eclipse lilac. Will soon get huge off white flower clusters

Oxdrift, Canada

Last tree peony yo bloom.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I was trying to switch over from the spring forum to 'what's blooming' forum, but the site sometimes doesn't let me post back-to-back. So I put my 2nd post here.
#1 an interesting Satsuki azalea with variegated flowers.
#2 Leptinella perpusilla - fern-like foliage creeping ground cover for moist soil
#3 Paris polyphylla
#4 Asclepius tuberosa doing what it's supposed to do

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

Love those first 3 Wee. All things I haven't seen before

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Keith, I would have guessed your lilac was a dogwood. Very pretty. I haven't seen that selection before. How is the scent?
Wee, Paris polyphylla is very interesting.

Oxdrift, Canada

Sorry Loretta, I am the worst person to ask about scent, my nose is very inactive. My other one is about to bloom shortly and I'll get my wife to check it out for you.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Golden Eclipse is a cultivar of Japanese tree lilac, Syringa reticulata, hence the tree-like habit. I had one (nonvariegated) for years until it got shaded out. Mine definitely had a scent, but to me, not as great as the common lilac shrubs. I haven't seen the gold variegated one before - looks great.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, spring is over! Shall we switch back to the already started "What's Blooming 4"?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1439598/

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Just stunning landscaping Keith, what a treat wandering around your shangri-la. Your Japanese garden looks totally zen. I can't believe all the work you've put into it and I can't believe the results. You have talent my friend!

This thread has been excellent, thanks to all that contributed!

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Robin. It's not work, it's therapy!
Keith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.