spring 2017

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Anemone blanda Blue Shades
2. grape hyacinth
3. Puschkinia
4. Viola labradorica - picked one up that looks like it's ready to seed.
5. Helleborus foetidus later than the other hellebores this year.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Tiger Eye Viola
2 - 5. Chionodoxa

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, Loretta, looks like you're over the spring hump!
I love, love, love J dubia!
And pasque flowers, too!
And such a pretty light-pink quince - much nicer than the usual coral/orange default of many quinces (at least in my opinion). I presume the branches are contorted also? I have always considered some sort of bonsai of contorted quince, but never actually tried it. Nice!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love J dubia too but what do you need, like 10 of them to make a statement? I hope I find a couple at the NARGS sale this year.
The Quince is contorted but nothing like Harry Lauder's Walking Stick but it is also much smaller and slow growing. Here is a shot further back of the same flower near the base to give you some idea.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've got a small contorted quince, but I've also got a couple Harry Lauder's which have performed really well. I'm trying to get the red foliage versions (of Harry Lauder) established. I have planted both 'Red Dragon' & 'Red Majestic', but can't seem to keep the deer away. I just put up some steel bars to see if I can protect them - we'll see. I've got a couple monster green-foliage H Lauder's.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

They are all so beautiful and exotic, I have regular stuff in my yard and only recently started growing for the spring. Fear of losing things after a late spring cold snap kept me off the spring train. I'm slowly getting more courageous.
1 & 2 - Pulmonaria 'Raspberry Splash'
3 - Hellebore, I had it so long I forgot the name.
4 - Forsythia

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice Robin

Thanks Keith. Happy Easter all!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Robin ~ Very lovely.

Happy Easter everyone.

Thanks Evelyn.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to see spring has made it to Michigan!
Now we're just awaiting Oxdrift.
Spent a beautiful busy weekend trying to get all the stiff I ordered over the winter into the ground. Of course, while browsing catalogs in winter I can think of the perfect place for every plant - but now when I'm actually planting them, I can't imagine what I was thinking! Now hoping for some rain to settle them in.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pulmonaria is one of my favorite plants! Beautiful, Robin!

Wee ~ I never thought that I would say this, but I wouldn't mind sharing some of my rain with you. Yes, it is still raining. I can't even get out in the yard it is so wet and muddy. From one extreme to another. I don't think we will have spring until May.😕

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hang in there, Evelyn. I have faith in California weather.
(I'm a California boy myself!)
Meanwhile, I hope those reservoirs are saving the water!

Ahh yes, spring drew nigh in Michigan, I revel in the magic and rejoice the signs. The number of Narcissus cultivars I've seen are mind blowing.

Who knew we would crest before California, I suppose too many earnest prayers gave you a healthy water supply Ev. Your cup runneth over for sure. Whatever survives, you'll know for sure they can deal with every extreme.

Tis the season for Pulmonaria's too Loretta, I hope you have some!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Some more woodland spring bloomers
#1 Adonis verna. It's making it's first appearance in my yard - I had no idea what it was but figured out it's name by doing a google 'image search' - worked great. I didn't realize I was that techy.
#2 A double anemone, A appenina Plena. Interesting multicolored blooms which evolve as the bloom matures.
#3 Polemonium reptans Stairway to Heaven - nice pink/white variegated foliage.
#4 Epimedium Yohiki. A nice display every year.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And I wanted to show another picture of my peony Rockii - a very flamboyant bloom. Many blooms each year - only complaint is the blooms only last a few days.
Much more demure is the reliable P japonica. Both of these bloom nicely in open woodland, virtually no direct sun.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Finally a couple of my experimental rock garden plants are blooming.
Aquilegia laramiensis is tiny white very delicate.
Myosotis terglouensis has made a few welcome babies. Pretty blue (tiny) flowers on an equally tiny plant.
Finally Dianthus Blue Hills is just getting ready!
Hope your gardens are all popping too - love to see what's going on out there!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Oxdrift, Canada

You have an amazing collection Wee. I am jealous
Keith

Quote from Weerobin :
Finally a couple of my experimental rock garden plants are blooming.
Aquilegia laramiensis is tiny white very delicate.
Myosotis terglouensis has made a few welcome babies. Pretty blue (tiny) flowers on an equally tiny plant.
Finally Dianthus Blue Hills is just getting ready!
Hope your gardens are all popping too - love to see what's going on out there!

Wee ~ I can't wait to see your D. 'Blue Hills' when it opens.

Here are 'Estella Rijnveld' tulips.
I didn't get these planted until December. It was snowing off and on, and then raining. Not much dry weather this fall.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, a tulip which knows how to make a statement!
Is this the first year you tried it?
Do you lift your potted tulip bulbs to replant this fall?
I wonder if it were in the ground if it would likely come up again next year?

Beautiful Tulip Evelyn.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's a pretty display, Evelyn. I'm waiting for 'Estella Rijnveld' to open up too. I hope they look as good as yours.
Wee, your selection is entertaining as usual. That P. rockii is gorgeous and so is Yokiho. Well, they are all gorgeous. Congratulations on your little rock garden experiments.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just got back from Tennessee where the roses and irises are already blooming and the trees are bright green. I haven't gotten a chance to take new pictures yet but here are a couple from last week before I left.
1. Muscari ambrosiacum
2. Epimedium pubigerum
3. Finally some camellia blooms after many years of failed buds.
4. I bought some Aquilegia canadensis. They aren't flowering yet here.
5. Epimedium rubrum

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Kerria japonica
2, 3. Checkered Lilies
4 Blue mix hyacinths with Mary Gay Lirette
5. Hyacinth Mix

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm jealous of that camellia. My zone should be suitable for some of the newer 'cold-hardy' types, but none make it thru winter. Well, maybe one or two 'survived' barely a year or two, with fewer leaves each year until giving up the ghost. I even have tried putting 'shrub coats' on them, to no avail. I've given up. We had remarkable camellias in California as a kid, so I remember them fondly.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That camellia doesn't really live up to its potential. The middle is suppose to be full of stamens. They all look they were munched on. My stepmother has a few successful spring blooming camellias but a friend of mine had the best advice. That is to stick with the hardy fall bloomers with the earliest bloom date. He uses Snow Flurry.

I used to have a beautiful pale pink camellia. I planted it on the north side of the house. One day it was in full bloom, and the next day, there wasn't a single bloom left. This was before my husband put up a fence for an enclosed garden. I was so devastated that day, I haven't planted a camellia since.

Now, many years later, I am considering planting another one inside the "border fence" if I can find just the right place, since we have such hot summers.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Go for it, Evelyn. Every couple of years, I get a playful squirrel that just debuds the camellia for fun. They don't eat it. When that happens, it usually debuds everything.

1. Cytistus scoparius 'Moonlight'
2. Dodecatheon jeffreyi
3. Unknown intermediate bearded iris
4. Veronica 'Vernique'
5. Iberis sempervirens

I just purchased the veronica, so that is why it is in bloom. I don't have many perennial blooms quite yet, except for early spring flowers. It rained all day yesterday, again. It will be summer soon, and the weeds are growing a mile a minute. I sure hope that I can get my beds in order before the heat of summer!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2017 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Sorry, double post!

This message was edited Apr 27, 2017 9:16 AM

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

These lilacs are over 40 years old because the previous 86 year owner of the property children gave it to her when they were in school.She still lives next door so I take care of the lilacs so she can keep on enjoying them.Last year their leaves were curling so hubby and I pruned them back.They have really bloomed great today.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice!
And how nice to have neighbors like you!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is nice.

Sorry, I couldn't share any photos this spring. The weather hasn't cooperated, it's been entirely too windy...argh.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Spring has been good here but I just have been spending more time outside than on the computer. I will try to get something up here soon.

I don't blame you one bit...I'd much sooner be outside than on the computer too. Get it while you can, the growing season is too short!

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I am enjoying the beauty of my end of season tulips, I planted this Red Parrot tulip last fall and was amazed to see its variegated leaves and my Peach tulip from previous years just bloomed.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

cytf ~ Lovely photos of your tulips!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.