spring 2017

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

They've tolerated our humidity fine - they go dormant so early in the season,
I don't think they're very bothered by our summer humidity.
I just started planting a wider variety of species the last couple years,
so I'm still figuring out which return.
I'm sure I'll know more in a few years.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

WR, you are the definition of an "Enabler!"

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

The warm weather has finally arrived and all of the snow is melted. It doesn't mean the cold weather won't return, as this time of year is rather fickle. Still, we have had 4 days of sunshine. I gardened for 3 of them, and then today I had an appointment in town.

Here are a few blooms from my garden.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Here are a few more...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

And a few more. Sorry that I don't know the names of the hellebores.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Love those black hellebores!
And reminds me I have to try dwarf irises again...
We're sweating out a prolonged freeze - 16 degrees right now.
I've got flimsy sheets covering my leafed-out dwarf maples,
but lots of leafed out plants impractical to try to protect.
Darned Mother Nature!

Oxdrift, Canada

Beautiful Evelyn. Thank you for sharing

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes, very pretty Evelyn, your Hellebores are exquisite! What are the little white flowers in pic #2 from the first set?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I thought maybe some sort of white scilla, but I also was wondering.

Robin and Weerobin ~ I believe that they are Chionodoxa lucilae var alba, "Glory of the Snow".

Very nice, they look better without the snow though. Thanks Evelyn.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The double black hellebore looks like Black Onyx. Very Pretty! And that primrose is so nice. They don't like me.
It's up to you , Evelyn, to keep us going until this snow melts.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

All buried under the snow!

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

And...

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's King of the Stripes vs Pickwick. I guess Pickwick wins.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Man, that last picture is great, Loretta!
Are these blooming now or are you still buried in snow?
We are now warming back up after a week of cold weather.
A couple plants didn't blink and are still blooming.
#1 is Corydalis solida Merlin. A nice white with thin purple outline.
#2 is the first flower of Veronica peduncularis Georgia Blue (I think that's it's old name). It will soon be a solid patch of pretty blue.
#3 is a spreading patch of Ranunculus ficaria Brazen Hussy. It's prettier than the picture shows. Not sure why I can't get a good picture of it. Green/black foliage as a nice foil for the very bright yellow flowers.
#4 shows most of my daffodils didn't enjoy the cold - still full bloom, but lying down on the job.
#5 is Decentra spectabilis Gold Heart - wilted from cold but looks like new shoots already emerging.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Some of those photos are exceptional Loretta, thanks for helping Evelyn to keep us going through the rest of our winter.

Thanks to Weerobin too, those Corydalis are stunning and unusual.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Any sign of spring up your way, Mipii?

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks again ladies for sharing all that beauty!!!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Absolutely love the Corydalis solida 'Merlin'. My Dicentra spectabilis hasn't even broken ground yet but my Cardiocrinum giganteum shows a good start for the season, that is if the deer don't get it soon. Keep the pics coming.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like Merlin didn't mind the snow at all! It's still beautiful! And I can't believe your veronica is blooming already. Georgia Blue is one I always like to have around.

*and thanks Robin and Robin. Wee, those were pictures I took just before the snow. We are still covered up.

Weerobin ~ On the ranunculus, try to take a picture of it in dimmer ligt, such as in the morning or late afternoon. You might have to change the contrast to match what you actually see. I have a few things that are beautiful, but not photogenic. That was nice of the veronica! I love blue flowers. I need to get that one. Did you grow it from seed?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

No, I'm not a real gardener.
We have a nice local nursery which is where I got it many years ago.
I had several other prostrate veronicas, but this is the one that stuck around.

yeah...I got nothing. MI is showing signs of life but no blooms in my yard yet.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Despite temps in the teens last week, the minute it warmed up, new blooms abound.
#1 Anemone hortensis. My favorite anemone. Not fully open yet, but getting ready.
#2 Arabis x sturii. Draping nicely over a rocky planting site.
#3 Houstonia caerulea. Just starting to bloom. At full bloom, the entire clump will be covered with sky blue blooms. I have had trouble getting it to return, so I'm particularly happy to see a bunch of babies (even the babies have blooms!).
#4 Claytonia virginica. It's easy to overlook (nearly raked it to death clearing out dead leaves today). Lots of other buds, so will get more showy soon.
#5 Chionanthus forbesii Blue Giant.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2017 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a really nice collection of bloodroot - including the beautiful 'Multiplex', 'Tennessee form (semi-double) and 'Pink Form'.
They all got wiped out in one winter by a marauding subterranean creature - I presume a mole, but don't know for sure.
I replanted S. canadensis Pink Form - it's just coming up.
The degree of 'pink' is up to the eyes of the beholder.
Pinker in bud and on the outside of petals.
I'm happy to have it back in my yard.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

...not a real gardener huh? You sure had me fooled.

Actually, there are more than one type of gardener. Gardeners that grow from seed may even be in the minority.

Beautiful photos Wee, the first pic of S. canadensis is showing one petal that looks translucent...what a capture that is!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice photos, wee. I especially love that first bloodroot picture, too. The whole series came out nice. Very elegant little flower. That anemone has such a rich color and the little claytonia is nicely veined. I wish there were more "unreal" gardeners like you around.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't get to explore the yard much mid-week, but I found a new cute corydalis blooming - it's a basically white flower with a lavender nose - very cute.
Corydalis kusnetzovii x C. solida Vanessa.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Wee ~ I LOVE your corydalis collection! I think mine died out. I had 'Blue Panda'. We were at the the end of 4 years of drought and the summer was quite hot. Most of my shade garden took a hit.

It snowed again this morning, after having rained all night last night, so quite a few things were floundering....

This message was edited Mar 22, 2017 8:25 PM

I'm with you Evelyn, Wee has quite a collection (a lot of collections), I'm sorry to hear about your 'Blue Panda' and shade garden, hopefully your drought is over for a while...hopefully for years.

Amazing collections Wee, you never fail to delight.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wee, your pictures of your flowers are gorgeous. I too love looking at them. Please keep them coming. They are so unique. Many, I have never heard of. So, the pictures are educational as well as beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Evelyn, so sorry to hear of your snowfall. Maybe your little flowers will make it after all. I covered up some Tulip kamaniania (sp). and I did more harm than good when it snowed here about two weeks ago.

Today, it's going to get to 70+. We're having pleasant sunshine with the birds chirping right now. It rained earlier, and we are under a slight risk for tornado this afternoon.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

My Bergenias are flowering although they always look a little ratty to me, and the Berberis 'Orange Rocket' is leafing out. I love those little red/orange leaves.
Keep your pics coming! My garden doesn't have much to offer right now.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

ML, since my yard is mostly shady woodland, springtime is king!
Once it gets stifling hot, nothing much will be happening in my yard,
so I'll be looking forward to your beauties then.

Here are more bloomers from my yard this morning.
#1 Anemone hortensis now in full bloom. Blooms are 2-3 inches across and held about 10 inches above the basal foliage.
#2 Hepatica japonica Sado Red - not quit in focus, but shows the pretty color
#3 Corydalis henrikii. A larger clump every year.
#4 Pulsatilla vulgaris Elegans
#5 Anemone blanda Charmer. White-centered blooms.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm having trouble posting next set - notice says 'this thread has been closed to replies' ...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hmm, seems to be working again. I'll try posting again.

#1 Jeffersonia diphylla. I prefer the lavender Japanese J dubia, but J diphylla has it's charms.
#2 Anemone x seemanni. Nice light yellow. I've found a number of babies across the woods, which is great.
#3 Anemonella thalictroides Cameo (now T thalictroides, I think)
#4 Pachysandra procumbens. You have to look closely to see the flowers pushing up through the leafy debris.
#5 Omphalodes verna. Striking sky-blue flowers.

Oxdrift, Canada

Wow again Wee! Keep em comin

Wow...they're all incredible. I want them all. I love St. Louis in the springtime. Are you a lone gardener in your family or do you get help?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks like my corydalis blooms are petering out for this year.
Here are the last few.
#1 C. popovii. Makes a nice show.
#2 C. paczoskii. Just it's first year, so a small plant.
#3 C. ornata. Planted 3 years ago, but I've never seen it 'til this year. It's tiny. Not sure it's going to make it where it's situated but afraid to move it...
#4 C nudicaulis. White flowers w dusky charcoal highlights & bright red snouts.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wee, you are having an exceptional spring! Your photos are inspiring!
Things continue to bloom here too but the cold weather ruined most appearances so nothing photo worthy at the moment. Hydrangea buds are fried. That means I will probably get rid of all of the macs and maybe the serratas because enough is enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.