A Few Orchids For February

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

1-3. Blc. Gold Fire 'Carmela'.
4&5. C. Warpaint 'Sungold'

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

1&2. Tolumnia Jairak Flyer 'Black Magic'
4. Clty. Haddie Notch 'Paradise'

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

1-3. Encyclia Polybulbon (sp)

1&2. Mormolyka ringens (sp.) another spike coming on the right.
3&4. Pelatantheria insectifera (sp.)

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

A few NOID Phalaenopsis.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Pleurothallis obscura. The name is self explanatory.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW! Awesome plants!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

My Vanda's root system. And 2 bloom spikes from a cork-mounted NOID phal. I had some other pix, but they didn't show the color very well with my little point and shoot, so I guess I'll have to take the "good" camera up and snap some pix.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z

Thanks, Tommy. I've not set up and photographed the past few years. How are your orchid shelves doing? What's growin in Poughkeepsie? Pics?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Well I have a noid mini phal budding up, a phal 'Golden Embers' that's not spiking for me so far this year. A Masdevellia that I've had for over a year that hasn't spiked for me yet but is dropping some leaves for seemingly no reason! Bought a 'Sharry baby' in the fall but no spikes yet. So no flowers YET.

Hi, Anna, missed your post with no New Post feature still. Yes, those Vandas do grow roots. As for photographing, it is a big time suck unless it's a hobby where you have figured some handy way to set up fast.Love my tablet but I've not been able to take good close ups even with specialty lenses.

Tommy, I've got a NOID mini Phal coming into bloom too. We'll have to compare. Had to look up Phal. 'Golden Embers'...very lovely butter yellow. Keep Sharry in the brightest spot since it is an Oncidium. Do you augment with lights?

Species Maxillaria sanguinea is an easy keeper and dependable bloomer. This one does well for me in an open basket, with straight sphag and repotting every other year. It was divided three years ago and both sections bloomed the same year.

A lot of shots of just a couple of orchids. The first four are Dendrobium Red Emperor 'Prince'. Reds are hard to photograph and often show as purple but despite the word "red" in the name, it is indeed purple. This nobile type Dendrobium was put in the unheated greenhut cool nook and has not been watered since Thanksgiving. That's what nobile Dens need to bloom. It will begin getting water now and fertilizer when new growth begins.

The last is a gift NOID Phalaenopsis on the rebloom. Not crazy about the odd spots though they are popular these days.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

I love to photograph Rhyncovola David Sander from many angles. The sepals on mine are pink/purple on the rear side which shows through the front as a faint blush while the rest of the flower is snow white. The fimbriated (fringed) lip from its Brassavola digbyana parent is one of my favorite orchid features. My two plants bloom at different times a year.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

a wonderful assortment!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.