What\'s For Dinner Part 75

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1435116/?page=7#post_10276418

Let's start a new thread to celebrate Chinese New Year...the Year of the Rooster! Hear, hear for poultry in all its glorious forms! The holiday starts on Saturday but the celebration is usually week long. Of course a themed dinner is in the works at my place. Homemade steamed dumplings with dipping sauces plus a soup with chicken, shrimp, fresh bean curd (tofu), bok choy and snow peas will be central. Also making egg foo young with scallions and mung bean, something I grew up with. Almond cookies for dessert. Maybe a Chinese pickle. Tsingtao beer. Friends and family. That should do it.

My godfather was Chinese and in the restaurant business the Chinese New Year was a big deal. My mom always brought me to work that night though I was mostly sequestered in the kitchen. The kitchen staff would give me sweets and gifts. Hollywood A-listers headlining the Miami Beach Hotels would come in after midnight to party hearty and I would eventually fall asleep in the storage room on a bed made of sacks of rice. Those wonderful smells from the kitchen are forever in my memory.

Anyone have plans for the Chinese New Year? Going out, staying in, bringing in? Cooking a cockerel? Share your plans and Happy New Year!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2017 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
This thread has 310 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!