Winter weeding over a bed of Asiatic lilies

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a bed of various hardy lilies, that are ten years old approx. They come up quite densely, but there are always a lot of weeds that sneak up on me. It is midwinter here in lower Michigan, but no snow and quite pleasant out. My lily garden is covered with a green carpet (almost) of weeds. I could spend some time trying to pick them all out, but I am wondering if it would be safe to spray some kind of weed killer on them. Would it do any good now, and would it harm the lily bulbs which seem pretty tough?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

From what I understand, the temperature has to be 50* for the poison to control weeds.
I hate to say it, but I think weeding is the best answer. A lot of times, weeds pull up easy in the winter time. Often one weed covers a big area.
I have a few Asiatic Lilies but they don't propagate that well. Although, I have had them for 20 years. I really like the Asiatics. They are so much easier to grow than Oriental Lilies.

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, yes the weeds were amazingly easy to pull up. I will have to plan on winter weeding in the future. Now I am just contending with the rabbits which seem to treat these as their favorite food.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Glad the outcome was good. Deer are eating my daylily blooms. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.