DAILY PICTURES #112

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Thread #111was getting rather long so I've started a new one. Hopefully everyone in DG with an interest in butterflies and caterpillars will join or check out this thread. For all you snow birds I've attached pics of a few late season butterflies from my backyard in mid November.
No. 1 Cloudless Sulphur
No. 2 American Lady
No. 3 Variegated Fritillary
No. 4 Checkered Skipper
No. 5 Fiery Skipper

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Welcome to Daily Pictures #112.
The 2016 butterfly season seemed to start slow but picked up with the warm weather and lots of garden and wild flowers. I ended up with 8 new butterfly species sighted.
Five of these were Linda's Roadside skipper, Lace-winged Roadside skipper, Great Purple Hairstreak, Mottled Duskywing, and an Orange-barred Sulphur.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, how I'm longing for Spring! Thank Ivy for the new thread and pictures of those beautiful butterflies. The great Purple Hairstreak marking and color is stunning especially in close-up I recall. I wonder where different type of Sulphurs will hide during the winter? They come out sporadically here when temp. turns unseasonably warm.

#tbt newly eclosed BSTB last year. At present, it's rainy and dreary, gray looking outdoor today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Early Spring ??? Wild pear trees are blooming and several butterflies are out and about. Question Marks are plentiful in both western Arkansas and northeast Oklahoma.
1 - Question Mark nectaring pear tree
2 - Snout nectaring pear tree
3 - Gray Hairstreak nectaring pear tree
4 - Tailed Orange basking on oak leaf
5 - Question Mark basking at road edge

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful captures Ivy. Love them all. I was visited by a Silver-spotted Skipper yesterday in the garden. early Spring it's. My Weeping willow are budding out. Wisteria too flowerbuds are swollen up big.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.