Opinions on Seed Containers?

Saint Clair Shores, MI

Hi Everyone - I've used Dave's Garden quite a bit in the past and have learned quite a bit, but this is my first time posting. Apologies now if there are other similar topics to this but the most recent I've found specific to this dated back to 2011.

I was planning to start my heirloom tomato and pepper seeds in 9oz Solo cups just because I haven't had much luck with the peat pots or other organic containers in the past. The 9oz size seemed reasonable for the seed and the room I have and may do the "cut up" cup inside of a intact cup to make it easier to transplant.

My question is: Is it ok to use translucent cups?

In a way it seems kind of helpful to be able to see the root system but since roots for these plants are meant to be hidden from the light would a translucent container cause any harm?

I have tons of other odd questions but would appreciate any thoughts.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave,

" My question is: Is it ok to use translucent cups? "

Yes. The translucent cups, or even the clear cups, allow a better view of the roots, so that you can tell when the pot is becoming root-bound and needs re-potting to a bigger pot or setting the plant into the ground.

ZM

Saint Clair Shores, MI

Thanks, Zen_Man. I figured it'd be good to be able to view them but light hitting the roots wouldn't cause an adverse effect, right?

I know it sounds odd to ask but you don't see too many clear plant pots and roots by nature are hidden from light so I was just curious.

Thanks again for your reply!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave,

I, too, worried about the light hitting the roots. As you can see in the attached picture, the roots seem to survive the light. I use commercial square 3.25-inch "clear" orchid pots to start my zinnias in. You can hit Ctrl + repeatedly to enlarge the page and the picture, to see the roots better.

ZM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2017 11:49 PM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Thanks again, Zen_Man! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered about the effect of the light. First time I'm taking seeding a little more seriously and thought I was just being compulsive.

Great idea on the orchid pots. I might have to give that a try instead of the Solo cups.

Thanks again for the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.