retaining water in drought

Fort Worth, TX

While I was digging up the bermuda grass for the flowerbed my granddaughter wanted to add I discovered that the part of the ground where no compost was, was hard as concrete. The recent rains had run off rather than soaking in. So as I worked up the gentle hill, to an area where I had dumped some pond compost over the fence, the uphill part was moist, the rain had penetrated very well. Needless to say I dumped 3 bags of pond waste (leaves, fish waste, algae as long as algaecides not used recently) on top of that rock hard ground. Used it as a perimeter around where I cast the seed.

I heard this from my permaculture friend but would not have believed the difference if I hadn't seen it myself.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, compost is wonderful stuff!!

Fort Worth, TX

going to rig a drip irrigation system that can run from rain barrel or garden hose I think. Looking awfully drought-y out there. Just watered the seed I put out before the rain on Monday. Except for the east side of the house, all the soil was crusty and dry.

Fort Worth, TX

Haven't got the irrigation up yet, just hand watering.

Dallas, TX

Yep. I was digging in the dirt this afternoon and couldn't believe how hard the soil was. Time to bring out the compost and yummy stuff like liquid seaweed and fish emulsion. I'm fully loaded with all the good stuff. Just need to get my lazy self to use it!

Fort Worth, TX

even just piling leaves over hard ground seems to increase moisture in it. Not to do away with the drought. Bought some more irrigation parts today. It's going to be connected to a hose, but it is coming.

Dallas, TX

Uh, oh. Bought some bags of shredded native hardwood mulch from what I've heard is an extremely reputable place. After dumping 1 bag open, a foul smell almost overcame me. This stuff was totally anaerobic. Since I can't return this empty bag, is there anything I can do to restore the mulch to an aerobic state?
I mostly use mulch to cover bare areas in my yard.
I plan to return the unopened bags and am annoyed that I'll have to wait until Monday.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Just spread it a bit and let it air out, it will be o.k.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.