Pottery newcomer!

(Zone 10b)

Hi all,

I'm completely a newcomer to the pottery world so aside from the little research I have already done online so far I have more questions than answers, but that is ok because I'm keen to learn.

My interest in pots started unexpectedly and came from admiration of well made bonsai, accent, succulent pots and Raku pots and potters and over time it has developed into an idea that this is something I may be able to try at home and more to the point enjoy doing it but you have to start somewhere so I started looking into it and here I am.

I'd love nothing more to go and purchase a kiln and just get stuck in but why try and run when you can't even walk, plus it is expensive.
So looking into low cost alternatives to get me started I found the whole Raku in a trash can thing, now this seems like something that seems doable but needs bisque firing first and here is where I got stuck.

I have seen any number of different methods and claims to just what the trash can/barrel method can achieve and it mostly doesn't stand up to bisque firing first but I have seen designs and kits you can buy with proper linings and with propane burners which look more efficient, cleaner and controllable and was wondering if they would be good to do a twice fired pot?
If not can I build a small to medium sized kiln in another way?
Cheap.

If the above isn't achievable then what is possible with that sort of set up, I'm not expecting to create any of the things I look up to but as an introduction I want to at least try and see if it is worth pursuing with further investment.
Plus playing with clay is something my kids would love and maybe is something they could get into too, they would rather minecraft to be honest.

Sorry if the post seems too broad but I guess I just need a bit of direction.
Any advice would be great.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!