Azoychka Resurrection

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Just for a drill I planted some nine-year-old Azoychka seed that had been stashed in an unused room since 2007.This is seed that I had saved and was not purchased. I had no real expectations of seeing any results but I now have 18 healthy seedlings. I don't normally start tomato seed until New Years Day so this early planting should result in my having tomato "trees" by the time they're planted outside in mid-March. Luckily I have a small greenhouse to accommodate them until then. I'm wondering if an additional transplant might be a good idea.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2017 1:35 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I try to transplant mine 3X, each time to a bigger pot. You don't want to stop the roots from growing & they spread fast.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Contrarianhere, but I never pot up tomato plants,I want them to be rootbound when set out,so here's what I do.

sow seeds in a green permanest pan,make 6 small trenches with a pencil,make 5 labels, 5 for each trench,there are 6 trenches,so I can grow about 30 seedlings at once.

When seedlings are about 2 inches tall,transplant to 6 cell plastic holders,already filled with the correct medium,out .

Set out plants when they are 4-6 inches tall unless weather prevents that and if they get too tall,plant horizontally. Small plants adapt faster than do too tall plants

Been doing this for many decades and have now grown 4,000 plus varieties,old lady that I am,although someone has to care for them,harvest,etc.,my job is to provide the seeds.LOL

Carolyn,77 and still not in heaven'

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Carolyn
Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.