Best/Worse/What did I learn today?chat with friends old/new

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved is from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1435071/

Santa Warren 2016'Christmas Gift Exchange, so love seeing pressie's arrive and Ohhh and Ahhh'ing

Betty,
Dianne. received from Liz
Linda. Received from Betty
Barb. Received from Debbie
Liz. Received from Dianne
judy. Received from Barb
debbie. Received from judy
Deb. Received from Lindakay

This message was edited Dec 17, 2016 8:09 AM

This message was edited Dec 22, 2016 5:17 AM

This message was edited Dec 24, 2016 10:46 AM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the move, Betty :-)

Yes, we got all the $$ the municipality owed us, but it would have cost us $20k to do all the work this community needs us to do, and we're not done. We're out of funds for anything. Knew we would be. We still need the heat ducting and electrical work done on the addition.
Just home from taking in the Appeal Letter. The lady who took it also could not understand why we were denied assistance, so she's sent off the Appeal letter to the Supervisor who may see it today and will get back to us in 1 or 2 days. I told her this may be resolved after Christmas, but she says "no, we try to get it finalized rather quickly". Sure hope so.
As for SHARP - upon reading the fine print, if we're denied the loan and make under a certain amount (we do), we would be eligible for a grant to assist us and that would be enough (I think) to assist us in finalizing the addition.
It sure doesn't help that our pipes keep freezing!! While we were away we turned off the heaters (didn't want a fire!!) and the pipes refroze and it really isn't that cold now - only minus 16c

This message was edited Dec 12, 2016 4:09 PM

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room Betty.

Posting my snowman wreath for you.

Thumbnail by taters55
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That is Truly Adorable, LK!!!
Do you buy the plastic or is this an up-cycle item? SO cute :-)

Verona, ON

Oh LK the wreath is adorable.

I bought all the items. Metal wreath frame, white tulle, styrofoam ball...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Cute!

Susan, here's hoping it will be SOON and you will get the approval on the special loan/ grant..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sleep all day and play all night, ..Ziggy is being playful thus Betty is wide awake

Susan, seems like the woman who took your appeal understand the need to move quickly..here is hoping!

Lindakay,,I just live your snowman wreath..how long did you cut your strips? When you say you bought all the items, was the had already on the styro ball? Simply adorable

Verona, ON

I'm up too Betty. Must be the almost full moon - tomorrow is the complete full moon.

Coyotes are howling. Around 10 tonight 1 coyote was right up near the house.Learned not to leave any of the dog kibble or biscuits outside as they come up to eat it. I am sure you all heard Duke telling me the coyote was near. I'll have to remember to lock the windows or Duke could end up outside. I've been putting 1 of the crates (they're huge) in front of 1 window and the recliner in front of the other. Problem is Duke can move them or gets his 2 bigger buddies to do that.

Getting excited about going south Betty ?

Oh Susan I sure hope they can get this grant to you ASAP.

Cleaning lady comes tomorrow so I had better pick up any messes I have made. She can just forget about the den - the huge closet in there exploded today. lol At least I found the winter hats and gloves.

Dianne and her TH

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh Dianne!! Coyotes! We had them in Calgary, and it was scary hearing all the stories. We only dealt with them once, and that was when we were camping and I could hear them snuffling around outside the tent, next to my head. Yikes lol

Going to call the plumber tomorrow and see if he can bring our water pipes inside the house (currently between the walls and that's where they freeze). He says it's a 4 hour job...... We wouldn't be able to pay until we get our grant, etc. We could use all the receipts we have from work we've already done on our home, and get a rebate, even if we don't get the loan.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dianne, used to have cayotes at the farm, quite a shrill in noise they make..don't think they came as close as yours though.
Skim of snow overnight, should be an easy shovel.

Susan here is hoping the pipes can be moved, imagine big job..I too on a cold night would leave taps dripping, that was enough to keep water flowing.

As for getting excited about Florida, not really, think I'd have been just as comfy at home doing nothing.

Have a kitty laying next one me on the couch, likely he will sleep all day now that he raised enough hell to get me up. Lol

Suzanne needs help with a project, dropping in around 7 so best I have coffee

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I cut my tulle pieces about a foot long. I cut a styrofoam ball in half for the head.

Verona, ON

Well I am still up. Know I will have a full blown headache by noon.

Ziggy arriving probably also has you thinking twice about going south Betty even if he is a little stinker in the night. Chaos was a brat from about midnight till 4 am and then would fall asleep. Of course I couldn't get to sleep.

Coyotes have been a presence on this farm since we bought it. There are 2 packs of them and sometimes they get in a howling contest.

Cleaned the kitchen so the cleaning lady can clean the kitchen.lol

Enjoy your day ladies.Make sure you do something nice for yourself today.
Dianne and her TH

Victoria Harbour, ON

Suzanne has already been and gone..her hubby had one of the no sew fleece blankets he loved, just didn't like the tassels on the top, bugged him and also wasn't long enough..we (I) sewed the top then she can tie sides and bottom..tomorrow at 7 coming to do a wreath..enjoying the drop in method for girls to finish the last of their projects..think Rita might be coming to soend the night, weather permitting..still snowing

Linda Kay where did you get the hat..minds going for next year for some of my gift, toile might be cheaper than the rolls of mesh ribbon, is of course unless I can buy on sale after Christmas..

Was quick enough to tell Jeff if kids got me a gift card to not get it at Michaels, so got 3, few hundred to spend and not much I want at Michaels but sure I'll find something. Lol

Going to have porridge then diwnstairs to finish the advent calendar enough to hand sew binding today

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I made it out of craft foam sheets. I tried felt, but I could not get it to stand up, so I bought the foam sheets. They are 1/4" thick.

Lyndonville, NY

Linda Kay that is just beautiful! I pulled out all of my Moms snowmen that I kept, including the little miniature tree skirt so house is decorated in snowmen this year.
I think you need to give us a tutorial on how to do that snowman. I can figure out the face and that...but the tulle wrap o the metal frame....not so much. SO cute!!

Just loving Ziggy!! Can't get a refund on your plane ticket?

I am dragging here. Holiday has me down and I can't get out as need snowblower to clear drive and 2 cars in there.....and DS is working. DH not able to use blower....so I hope tonight we can manage.

Have my doc appointment tomorrow and next week drive to Cleveland Clinic for my back.

Debbie

I bought a wire wreath form, and 4 rolls of mesh. I cut the mesh to 10 inch pieces and wired them to the wreath form with white chenille stems. I cut the chenille stems to about 3 inches long. Make sure you don't use a good pair of scissors to cut them. I used a pair of wire cutters from hubby. I put about 12 pieces of mesh per section on the wreath, and I filled the inside and outside row. I used the foam sheets for the hands, eyes, nose and hat. Then I used glitter glue for the edge of the hat to cover seams, and hot glued the mistletoe tom the side of the hat. Then I placed a battery operated light set behind the mesh.
Pretty easy to do.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2016 6:48 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well I will be trying one or two, who know maybe 3. Lol.....was it tulle or rolls of mesh?

Oh Debbie, with you not feeling the best doing Snowplowing isn't good..could you not wait until Shane gets home? Moore weather cooperates for your Cleveland trip

Someone said you can get hats at hobby lobby..the 1/2 hat fedora, will look, also want to look for the wire lights we will need for next project and little figurines

Playing beat the clock today, girls came this morning, Ann had made a whole platter of sweets, just a few pieces left for coffee tonight, perm at 4:30 then Melanie and her friend come at 6:30 then Suzanne at 7am. Big sigh, with having to be at airport 3am Friday I'm sure I'll sleep the entire flight.

Verona, ON

It is going to be 1 miserable night here. The temp is dropping rapidly and it is raining snow. When this freezes the lane will be impossible to get out. It is already slick especially when you walk. The TH and I will be sticking close to home tonight.

Have the partial plate in so I can get used to it. Not having an upper and lower set of teeth for so long it feels strange. I go in for 7:30 am on Mon then back at 6 pm.The tooth that broke off will be added to the plate. Going to take some getting used to and I won't be going near a magnet any time soon.

Well Debbie you are 1 step ahead of me... I have absolutely no Christmas decorations up ... don't think the TH care one way or the other.

Susan when do you hope to hear about the grant ? I hope the lady you spoke to yesterday was right.

Barb I was watching the weather from a Boston station and it looks like you are getting what we are here. Harder for you to breathe outside in the winter ?

BBL
Dianne

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well Linda, I think you just have to make another one with step by step pictures. Now don't you wish you had done that while you made this one? You had to know there would be requests for how tos...LOL

Betty, it was rolls of tulle. 6 inches wide, as that is all I could find at the time. The video on YouTube said to use 10 inch wide wire mesh but I could not find any.

I have some WIDE creamy colored mesh with a gold thread thru, I wonder if I have enough.... hummmmmm....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm "re-fringing" a Christmas scarf and hat I have - the fringe is just too short. I like longer fringes :-)
Betty - is that going to be a quilt top? I love it! We have a Christmas mantle cloth that we bought from a quilt shop last year - will leave it for next year as I have too many other irons in the fire.

I have two things I've been mentioning, re: financial aide, and I think I may have been confusing about them.
1. SHARP is either a loan or grant, depending on what we qualify for - either of them would help us finish our addition. I can't apply until we get our copy of last year's tax forms (coming in the mail) with info from it. We should get them next week.
2.Alberta Works is where I took in the Letter of Appeal re: current financial hardship. I'm waiting to hear from the Supervisor who will review it. Hopefully we'll hear tomorrow. They are the ones who could give us on-going financial support - nothing to do with our home. It's income-based.
3. Revenue Canada is who we're putting in for a Financial Hardship - they are the ones who'd play "catchup" with our less-than-correct pension - 11 month's worth. This will take about 2 months. I have some of the paperwork, and waiting for more. Once it's in, they'll be pushing it though, and hopefully we'll get funds before Christmas.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes Dianne I am getting all your weather this week. Thanks for asking. It is sooooo cold and we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Got the storm on Monday and had to postpone my pulmonologist appointment. It was like a blizzard here just when we would have needed to be on the road. I will be in now until Christmas Eve when I go to my daughter's. The cold and I just don't play well at all and now with the new heart pill, cold extremities are worse than ever. One bad side effect but the heart is much slower now. I have plenty to do here to keep my busy!!!!

Good attitude Barb!

Susan, lets hope it all comes thru quickly.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Barb, enjoy the warmth of your house, bet it's cozy, nice to sit and enjoy rather the
An taking a chance being outside..now that you moved, can't remember how far from you your daughter lives, will you stay overnight?

Let's hooe Susan some funding gets approved..always better to make fringe a lot longer then trim

Well Lindakay,mregardless what he utube video said re materials yours turned out just perfect. Miss it on your door?

Pat, ready to call it quits re doll/outfits? How is your dad faring

Up at 5, Suzanne called at 6 asking if I wanted peppermint hot chocolate from timmies, yep sure do

She has already made her wreath and off to work..girls come tonight, have 2 sides to hand sew on the advent calendar then that is pretty much it for things to do..feel badly I didn't get to visit with aunt and uncles but will make a point of taking them out for lunch when I get back

Have my Florida suitcase and Buffalo suitcase packed, looking for something to take with me to entertain myself, thought maybe my sketching pad/pencils, haven't done anything since I drew the boys, not sure I remember how

Stormy here, calling for blizzard like conditions for the next few days..I will not cancel airport limo until noon tomorrow when I see what the weather will be.

Coffee/porridge then tart MY day lol

Ziggy is into everything.,he sure wanted to get into Suzanne's wreath

Yes, the wreath is on my door.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Inviting for sure..

For you Canadian gals, see where Alan Thick was playing hockey with his son yesterday, had a heart attack and passed away.

Wind is up, white outs galore

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohh what a blizzard, you southerners want some?

Finished the advent calendar, even painted a dowel and put in hooks to hand it,mother repaired the last crack I had missed in the lamp shade for mom and put a longer chain on the snowflake.

Seems odd not having anything to do..said self 'you could make a few sets of easy pkacemats.,get binding on them tomorrow and have some hand sewing when you are south looking for something to do..have a few friend I really should have brought Xmas pressies to

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, that is so pretty.

Please keep my Dad in your prayers. My Sister was called to the nursing home this morning, as Dad was not feeling well. After the Dr. got there and examined him, he has pneumonia. Thanks so much!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh goodness Lindakay, prayers being said for sure..am sure you are worried sickening..will they hospitalize him?

Rita called from the community centre in Port Severn, she was helping the Christmas seniors luncheon then was heading north to Parry Sound to visit a few days with her brother, they have taken plies off the roads so it's bad out there, she will try to drive here, about 10 miles, will be a blue knuckle ride..

Think I'm going to email Caleb and tell him I will not be going to the theatrical production he is in tomorrow night, I will stay take airport limo and let the driver worry about the drive.

Just out the window is life, just not today, all is white!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LindaKay - prayers are being said for your Dad. Blessings to you & your family.

They are treating him at the nursing home right now.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good - keep us up to date, please, LK

Verona, ON

Your weather is headed my way Betty. Safe travels for Rita.

Bitter cold made worse by gusty winds. Colder as the night progresses.

Oh LK sending positive thoughts and prayers for your dad. Hard to be so far away.
Dianne

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wind is making things worse,Rita spending night, girls aren't coming tonight and I'm thrilled about that

Rita brought turkey, dressing , turnip/peasand mashed tatters for supper from the Christmas dinner..mouth watering

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yummy, only got 1/2 eaten, rest lunch tomorrow

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Oh my ! My Santa Warren package arrived today to quote the Post Mistress all the way from Cal "E"fornia. Liz thank you so much I am very spoiled. Our Judy will post pictures for Liz and I. I laughed and laughed when I opened the pickle ornament I loved it. It is hanging proudly off of Santa Warren's sleigh that Judy made. There was chocolate, a very interesting ice cream cone of candy (something I have never seen), a colouring book with watercolour pencils. There was a snowman potholder, and towels. There was Bosco too ... I haven't seen that in years. I love it - even named a kitten that. The towel dress that Liz made will hang up beside Thunder's Kitchen angel. It is beautiful. Of course she remembered the TH - dental biscuits that after they had 1 each wanted more plus balls. Duke especially loves to play catch but at the moment Diesel has all 3 balls in his mouth while he is sleeping.
Liz did 1 other thing that really touched my heart - she remembered my birthday. December birthdays are the pits! You always get I spent a little more on your Christmas gift so their won't be a BD present. Warren even married me on my BD.Thank you so much Liz - Santa Warren would be beaming.

Chatter says there are other Santa Warren making their way .....

Safe travels tomorrow Betty. Glad you are taking the limo to the airport. Gusty winds for you too? The wind is just howling off the lake through the trees and around the house.Thought I had enough wind in for overnight but I will need to bring in a couple more armfuls.
Stay safe and warm everyone.
Dianne

Pacifica, CA

yaaay diane it arrived! oh the ice cream cone is hot chocolate
you tell that rascal he better give up two balls!
ok I will send judy pictures to post, I was worried customs would pull bosco and dog treats out lol
diane your very welcome:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.