Looking for wide leaf agave

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm finally converting to desert landscaping. Does anyone have pups/starts of wide leaf agave or yucca? I'd pay for them. They will be in blazing Southern exposure.

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi...
Just saw this. For about $100.00 you can get several excellent mature plants that will take the heat just fine. Trick is knowing what to buy. If you go to the BB stores and check out the agaves you'll find in the $9.00-$24.00 range plants in 2.5 - 3.5 gallon pots. Here are tried and true performers in my yard. I live about an hour from you. I'm in CG btw.

Never assume because it is 'water wise' or 'takes full sun' that it takes full AZ 118degree sun in July! Our summers are unique. You'll be taking your stuff back or watching it die.

The best thing to do is compile a 'shopping' list of plants and stick to it. I learned that lesson the hard way. Now I grow what grows here and am rewarded. A lot of the plants I love and a few I'm learning to love...at least appreciate because they live here.

Here's an example of some of what's in my yard.

Agave americana variegated. (Pic 1.)
Agave celsii/mitis (Pic 2 &3. I just bought each of these a week ago. 3.5 gallon pot size for less then $20.00 each!)
Agave Blue Glow. (Pic 4)
Red Yucca (Pic 5. This attracts hummingbirds. I paid $7.98 for a nice sized one)

If you respond I'll send you a lot more suggestions and photos.
:D

Have a good day.
AG

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.