CLOSED: Bushtits (?) In December

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

I often see Bushtits in the summer, and have spent many hours searching among our lilacs looking for their unusual nest. Yesterday, I spied motion through our dining room window, and saw these guys (crappy focus). Seriously? Bushtits in Denver at 8 degrees above zero? Which begs the question regarding migration, like were they just passing through and taking a break in some kind of Bushtit pilgrimage to someplace. They clustered, and then were gone. Very curious about this one, and thanks for any help.

Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman Thumbnail by wingwoman
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, they're Bushtits - they're not migratory at all, and never go far from where they were hatched, not more than a mile or two. Eight degrees above freezing (or even eight below) won't hurt them though, they can tolerate a lot colder than that.

Resin

This message was edited Dec 10, 2016 3:07 PM

Aurora, CO(Zone 4a)

Thanks for that info. I had imagined them to be like the Junco, from way up North. So I guess they flit around in groups, hitting feeders as they come across them.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from wingwoman :
So I guess they flit around in groups, hitting feeders as they come across them.

Yep, that's exactly what they do 👍

Resin

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Actually, our winter Juncos here in Colorado aren't necessarily from up north. I believe there are ones that sometimes just migrate down in elevation. You are more likely to see them in the summers at high elevations.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.