Texas left?

Fort Worth, TX

someone else paid my membership for the year or I would be gone too. Anyone still around, say hi.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm here, it's always slow this time of year. I'm enjoying the cold, rainy weather from inside the house. Lol I have peppers setting on my indoor plants.

Fort Worth, TX

I need to bring my peppers into the greenhouse. Do you have room for a tropical tree inside?

No, I've read about that ginger thingy and I'm full...lol. The peppers are only in the house temporarily, until it warms up.

I'm surprised that I found Bluebonnets and other Wildflowers germinating in my flowerbeds. Seems early.

Fort Worth, TX

I wish I'd have gotten my wildflower seed out. after the freeze I guess

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm still here, but work keeps me busy this time of year. Lots of overtime which means less computer time.

Fort Worth, TX

well I have decided there is room for the ginger in the fish room. NOT sure I trust my cats, but hey, the pot will fit, and the room is bigger than the greenhouse

Stay warm everyone. Got the solar pool cover on my greenhouse today

Gypsi, just toss the Wildflower seeds. Some need a freeze to germinate (stratification) those that don't will germinate when the time is right.

Fort Worth, TX

I need to pull up underlayment and mulch before tossing Lisa. I covered the area to stop the weed takeover this summer.

Dallas, TX

Still a member but haven't logged on forever. Spend some time at ATP (now called NGA) but mostly just keeping to myself. Nothing personal. The one thing I like best about DG is that due to the RUs I feel like I really have friends.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

That is the way i feel too Joan, having the swaps made a big difference in the connections we made. I hope we will still be able to maintain the friendships.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm still here, though don't get on DG very often during the winter months. I hope there is an RU in the spring and that I am able to attend. I have really enjoyed those gatherings over the years, and the nice people of DG. :-)

Carla

Fort Worth, TX

I think we will need a 2017 Roundup of some time. Maybe I can get the front half of the lot ready for seats and tables under the pines or something.

Yes, that would be great, there aren't many of us left, but i think we could have a small gathering, we shall see as spring approaches.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm here. Life gets in the way as the saying goes.

So good to hear from you LouC.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been really busy at work, too. Hopefully things will slow down in the spring and I can spend more time outside and hopefully attend any RUs.

Fort Worth, TX

2016 was a very fast paced year for me too. Hopefully a bit more quality time in the new year

So glad to see some of our good friends showing up again.
Please let us not loose touch.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

Fort Worth, TX

Happy New Year!

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy New Year, everyone.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Happy New Year! Hope your year is a blessed one.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still here. Been missing the convos. Not a lot of chatter here, in the last several months, though.

I've been hanging out on The Bayou Gardener website with a bunch of old school southern growers. They share lots of info pertinent to my Zone 9a veggie garden.

Good to hear from you all, yes DG has changed a lot and it doesn't seem the same anymore, but I guess that is our fault for not posting as much.

Fort Worth, TX

I am not taking on another forum, so I will check this one as often as I can

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess we have Facebook to blame for a lot of the difference. Many of my 'friends' on FB are carry overs from here. There are tons of garden sites. Actually, not near the information as here on Dave's. Still the go to place if you want to know about hands in the dirt gardening. I miss. how it used to be.

I miss it too LouC!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've been gone for a while, but I'm back. There seems to have been a mass exodus in my absence though. What happened? Site used to be very active and vibrant with a multitude of users and contributors. I know the site changed a lot and was purchase by someone or a group, but did they make so many changes that it ran everyone off?

Fort Worth, TX

Life got busy and Facebook certainly played a role. I am staying however, hoping a few more will trickle back in. Changes haven't been that significant I don't think

Well, the changes are not bad now, but during the switch it was almost impossible to post anything and no help from admins, so that made a lot of people mad and they moved on.
I decided to stay because of the good and faithful friends here.

Fort Worth, TX

I stayed partly because of a bee forum which was also sold, and one of the members got ticked off and started his own forum. I hadn't been on in awhile, and got an email from one of the admins who said, hey, we moved over here. Now the forum they started isn't bad, but it's a "Cheers" neighborhood bar atmosphere, lots of humor not many bees, and the owner goes over to the old forum and trolls for members. And that is bad manners.

I gather that the original Dave cleared his "non-compete" phase and started a new forum, and that is bad manners, the file section on here is excellent, I have friends here, and Dave can stuff his new forum. (just resigned from that new bee forum too, I hadn't checked in, in awhile, but the owner was publicly trolling the old site one time too many and ticked me off.)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I find Dave's to be the most informative site on the web. There's a wealth of information and the collective minds pretty much seem to know it all. LOL

Hope everyone's enjoying the frigid weather. :)

Fort Worth, TX

O hope my hardy perennials were hardy

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been laid low with bronchitis and sleeping pretty much all the time for the last 4 days so the hard freeze completely snuck up on me.. when my husband came home Friday and said it didn't get above freezing all day I figured what was sensitive was already gone and I just couldn't ask him to move plants. He was already making multiple runs to the grocery store for food that appealed to me..I will look at this as another excuse to visit nurseries this spring.

Fort Worth, TX

Well my greenhouse shelf got down to 23 degrees last night. I will find out just what I lost as time passes. What was different this year? I pulled the jars of water to clean and refill and didn't get it done, so my window side temperature stabilizers weren't there. Also I didn't run laundry. It appears that our outside temp last night wasn't as bad as 2009/2010 but I think it is the coldest it has been since the greenhouse was built. I put plastic sheeting over delicate plants during very hard freezes in 2014, even though they were in the greenhouse, and that did help too.

I will BUBBLEWRAP the inside of the screen door if it is dropping to 14 again. I have solar pool cover over the rest of the greenhouse, but the screen door part my dogs played tug of war with and that was the end of that.

I end up with so many plants that it will be ok, but I will miss my african buttonbushes if I have lost them.

I haven't uncovered my plants yet, they are under tarps outside and some in the garage. I think it will be warm enough tomorrow to uncover them, we shall see.
I hate cold weather!!!

Arlington, TX

There is nearly no action on any threads I followed so I rarely come here. I guess life has just made us all too busy.
Dennis, you gave me a yellow columbine a number of years ago. Do you happen to know which species it is? I've read there are 3 yellow columbines that are native.

Fort Worth, TX

The Texas thread was so dead last winter I joined the Plant Propagation thread and learned lots of interesting things and met people from Michigan and Kansas and Indiana. And even did a little cutting swapping with them. Dave's is big enough to find something to read on, and it does seem to be picking back up just a little bit now.

I have visited a couple of the newer sites and there are so many people I'll never figure out who is who, I work too much and do not have the time.

I'm still here. Just getting over the holidays. Happy New Year to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.