A day at Laurelwood Arboretum

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

How about a little fall here? This is a local arboretum in Wayne, NJ. The beauty of Laurelwood is I can walk my dog there.
These pictures are a month old. In real time, only the latest turners are still doing their thing here like itea.

First a few maples.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The first two are opposite sides of the same tree. Still maples.
Hey, I can't edit out the last photo - sorry

This message was edited Dec 3, 2016 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ginko Biloba
Last two are from a nice sized Katsura.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Norway Spruce
2. Japanese White Pine
3. Barely making it shrub. I have this or similar at home. Don't know the name anymore. There is one healthy one at a neighbors. Some day I'll photo it. - Juniperus x pfitzeriana (thanks Resin)
4. Cryptomeria
5. Group shot

This message was edited Jan 23, 2017 11:18 AM

This message was edited Jan 23, 2017 11:20 AM

This message was edited Jan 23, 2017 11:21 AM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Enkianthus
Seven Sons
Skimmia
Fall blooming azalea - sparse but blooming.
Harlequin Glorybower

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

A sparsely blooming witch hazel. Still nice to happen upon and it smelled nice. I guess it had to be Hamamelis virginiana.
I can't help loving Burning Bush even though it's a no no. That didn't come out good.
I don't know which is my favorite Pieris, this or Dorothy Wyckoff.
Group shot.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Group shot with Bald Cypress in the middle.
3 of Ilex opaca 'Canary'
A group of plane old red I. opacas. Didn't read the tag. I love them but I don't like the spiney leaves all over the ground and neither does my dog.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

A fence of branches.
Hope you enjoyed your visit!

This message was edited Dec 3, 2016 2:10 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the show, Loretta. Looks like a beautiful place - especially nice to have it close at hand.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is. The fact that it's close and the dog is welcome makes it really valuable as a public space. I have to walk the dog every day so walking through the Laurelwood doesn't feel so self indulgent.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very nice! I enjoyed your photo tour.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
1. Norway Spruce
2. Chinese White Pine
3. Barely making it shrub. I have this or similar at home. Don't know the name anymore. There is one healthy one at a neighbors. Some day I'll photo it.
4. I guess I didn't get the long view of the weeping chamaecyparis but it is a nice deep bright green for fall contrast.
5. Group shot

2 is a Japanese White Pine (Pinus parviflora; not Chinese P. armandii)
3 is a variegated cultivar of Juniperus x pfitzeriana
4 is a Sugi Cryptomeria japonica

Resin

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

The group shot in your set of pictures with the witch hazel is beyond belief. If I lived nearby I'd be there every day. I can't believe how beautiful it is. Thanks for sharing.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Resin, I realized I posted the cryptomeria after the fact and not the cedars and meant to come back and change it but then I forgot to. They do have a couple of decent cedars but I didn't photo them. As for the pine, I misread it. They had the right label. Thanks for the juniper name.
Momlady, I'll let them know you said so if I ever attend a meeting (I joined during their plant sale).

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.