What\'s For DinnerPart 74

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Coming from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1432242/?page=6#post_10267363

With Thanksgiving only days away, and other holidays to follow, it seems like a good time to fill a new space with everyday meal talk, holiday food plans and the such and such this thread is noted for. Jump in if you will. The photo is of Prudence the Thanksgiving moose, a gift from a friend years ago. She (the moose, not the friend) is among the flowers on our table every Thanksgiving.

We have out of town houseguests, family and friends coming. I'll probably be short of time but wanted to start off the thread by sending my thanks to all of you for the lively chatter. Thanks for sharing pieces of your interesting and far flung lives. You are an entertaining group!

In the Thanksgiving department...well, the menu is coming together without much fuss. I've got a small-for-us turkey at fourteen pounds. Two baguettes were cut up and toasted for a scratch dressing. Leftover cornbread from the Family Promise dinner is destined for a southwestern-style dressing with creamed corn, chipotles, grilled onions and peppers. Cranberries are made with fresh orange juice and lots of zest plus dried and powdered garden mint. I've cooked the squash and onions for the special request squash casserole and have Brussels sprouts for roasted sprouts. Recently canned, roasted chicken stock will provide the base for porcini mushroom gravy. Dessert options are chocho cookies (baked and in freezer), a fresh apple galette and pumpkin pie from my garden Longpie pumpkins. The pumpkin is a New England heirloom and descended from seed sent by a DG Mainer in 2007. I've grown it every year since. There will be homemade whipped cream for topping pies. Wine with dinner. Port and brandy for dessert. I do the cooking and clean up except dry dishes and silver which must be washed by hand. That's what's up here. What are your Thanksgiving plans?

This message was edited Nov 22, 2016 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
This thread has 276 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!