Damage from overwatering, wind, verticillium - or all three?

Berlin, Germany(Zone 7a)

Dear DG JM experts,

in early April this year, I bought two ten years old JMs - an Acer Mikawa Yatsubusa and an Acer Autumn Moon. They're both giving me some grief and, after perusing many gardening forums over here (Europe, USDA zone 7 or 8 depending on whom you ask), I have not quite found out what I am doing wrong, if I did not read the signs right or if I'm just plain stupid - please have a peek at the two photos attached.

The details:

- Purchased in containers 2nd week of April
- Pots Ø 45cm with fairly organic soil and some grit so as to provide drainage
- Added a little low nitrogen fertiliser in the soil mix

- Wooden terrace 2nd floor facing south-west
- Direct sun exposure from 09:00 - 11:00 and 15:00 - 17:00
- No exposure to rain

- This year May, July and August 1-2 weeks with up to 37°C (23° at midnight) and stormy winds more suited to the Philipines, very unusual over here
- Watered daily at the exact same time 1l, on those scorching days twice per day
- Moved both plants as close to the terraces' windows/walls to reduce wind exposure

- 9th July both plants showed brown leaf tips
- 20th September both had very many fairly brown leaves, mostly away from the house; particularly the Mikawa had lost fairly many leaves on two branches
- 23rd October the Mikawa has buds emerging on several twigs on those branches that dropped most leaves

So, did I "love them to death" by overwatering them when in July I detected a brown leaf tips, not knowing it could have been damage from the hot winds, sometimes blowing hard all night, too? Did the soil I bought contain the verticillium fungus?

The climate here should(?) to be good for JMs, from what I can see on other inner city terraces, balconies or rooftops; but maybe this years insane weather was responsible - and then I added a fair share of rookie mistakes?

Also, how often should I water potted JMs from November - February? There is no garden shed or garage where I could put them during the dormant period.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2016 3:25 PM

This message was edited Oct 23, 2016 3:39 PM

Thumbnail by Rosy_S_Cenario Thumbnail by Rosy_S_Cenario

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.