How do you propagate and grow sweet potatoes.

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

I need some help. I remember my dad growing sweet potatoes in Temple City, CA. His soil was almost all sand, washed down from the San Gabriel mountains.
His potatoes looked like ships they were so big plus he had a grand supply of cut worms. I only saw the results of his hard work, never learning how he did it.
I'd like to try growing them myself but do not know how. I live and garden in Santa Barbara, CA. My soil is what you might call a sandy loam minus the cut worms. I grow in raised garden beds that are 12 inches deep. The soil is well amended. I'm wondering if these beds are to shallow to grow Sweet Potatoes. Can anyone out there give me some guidance on how to grow these red beauties and keep them from growing the size of ships? Thanks a million.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'd love to hear how the sweet potatoes go. I tried regular potatoes a few years back and they did very little. I don't think they got enough sun here so close to the coast. I wish more people would post on this forum.
Personally I think our "lack" of weather here on the coast creates some real plant problems. I'm always so happy when I find something that likes our climate doesn't mind the occasional cool summer or hot fall, LOL. This was such a weird weather year.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2016 6:57 PM

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Domehomedee,
I'll be sure to let you know how things go. Right now my Sweet Potato is suspended in water, sending out roots and lots of green leaves. When the vines get bigger I'll separate them from the potato and root each vine, and once rooted then plant. Each day is a learning experience with this. I have a dedicated area where I have my veggie garden and hopefully there will be enough sun for this new
challenge. Your sure right about the weather. I'll be in touch as everything progresses.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.