Guidance, please, on this abused weigela

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a client who planted a weigela on what turned out to be a small sinkhole. Amazingly, the plant has survived, and in fact has a very sturdy base, so I might now be impossible to move it. I have tried to capture how far below ground level it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to save it? Is it as simply as adding soil to the hole? Would the plant be harmed?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Donna, how long has the shrub been submerged?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Apparently a very long time. I asked my client and she isn't sure. Which probably means years.

I topped up the site with some top soil and then planted feverfew tetra strain around it. The client really likes it, and it looks less freaky. It's fun working with her. She and her husband have a sense of humor about their yard, and I have been able to make some improvements that they like very much.

Thanks!

What I'd be concerned about is whether or not the shrub would die being buried too deep. Obviously, Weigela is not one of those that are negatively impacted from their crowns being buried. That's good to know. I also didn't even know IL had sink holes and I do now.

The main thing is that your clients are happy, good job doing that Donna!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Mipii!

Illinois generally does not have sinkholes. And it's quite small. I used top soil instead of compost because it is so much lighter. The plant itself is quite lovely. Who knew?

I very much appreciate your help!

Donna

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.