maclura pomifera

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

For anyone who wonders how Osage orange got it's name,
here's the remnant of an Osage orange which got squashed by my fallen oak.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Christiana, TN(Zone 7a)

I thought it was for the big warty fruits.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Agreed.

I bet that the standing shard survives - if you don't cut it down.

Should I ask about the hanging chain...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I suspect you're right VV. But it's on my neighbor's side, so not sure if he'll want it gone or leave it.
I'm anxious about a bunch of other small fairly exotic trees in the woodland around the oak. A couple seem to have already been wiped out including a small Aesculus pavia and a really nice Acer x zoschoense. An A triflorum looks barely alive; others are hanging in there incl A mandschuricum and A shirasawarum Palmitifolium.
I'm anxious for the job to be over. Should be done this week.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Irrigate if weather has been dry - that might help bridge the trauma till more pleasant dormancy arrives.

If you need to replace (or add more) Aesculus pavia, I could help. Grow like weeds here, and produce copious seed. I have many seedlings in growbags which could probably make the trip to St. Louis...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice little rain overnight.
Thanks for the A pavia offer, VV. I'll see how mine survives.
I've never tried harvesting the seed. I've got another pavia as well as an A woerlitzensis (?sp) - can't remember which is which. Both are shrubby and have red blooms. Regardless, if this is the right time of year to collect seed, I might try it. Both bloomed nicely this past spring.

Christiana, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :

If you need to replace (or add more) Aesculus pavia, I could help. Grow like weeds here, and produce copious seed. I have many seedlings in growbags which could probably make the trip to St. Louis...

Jealous! I only have two. Two seeds this fall after growing them for years. Hoping they're viable. Stratifying them now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.