Show me your MUM ;)

(Zone 4b)

Two Mammoth Mums in full bloom these days.

"Dark Pink" and "Red Daisy" in the ground.

Too huge (4 feet across even after a few cutbacks earlier in the season) AND the yucky splay for each. I suspect that for the DP the soil is too rich. And for the RD the soil is also too rich AND it doesnt get enough sun.

The third shot shows a "Dark Pink" in a pot that I planted in the container last Fall. It is just fine and I have decided to remove these giganticos as they take up way to much room. (I will first dig out a piece of the "Dark Pink" and plant it up in a container also).

Who else as perennial mums in the ground and ones that over winter in containers?

This message was edited Sep 25, 2016 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rouge, your returns look nice and full, especially for returns so you must have done a good job trimming. I use to have one like your second picture but my husband mowed one too many times and since then, I have tried to get one to return but no luck yet.
I only have one and this pic is from last year. It is blooming now but it has been blocked by some lumber this season and so it looks pretty floppy and not photo worthy.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Your plants are worth a peony ring investment. I don't think you are going to get them to stand on their own. They are just too many blooms - a good thing.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here are some hardy chrysanthemums from Frelinghuysen Arboretum from a couple of years ago. I've always wanted to try them but they do take up a lot of room. All of these are heavily supported.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

And a few details of the same plants. I guess at least one of them is Mary Stoker.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
(Zone 4b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
Your plants are worth a peony ring investment.

Something about a support ring that bugs me.

'Loretta', there are tons of blooms on the same mum but potted and no flop at all.

Given the large space in a sun aspect it requires I will likely replace it with something else next season. It isn't as if I have lost it forever as the potted version seems to over winter just fine.

I will keep my eye out next season for a hardy yellow one...I love yours.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2016 12:39 PM

This message was edited Oct 11, 2016 8:59 AM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

My mum in the first picture is actually white. I can't take credit for the other ones.
The one in the pot, do you keep it in the garage or bury it? I see you are in zone 4 so it is amazing you are overwintering them. I know what you mean about the peony ring. They don't always work that great either.

(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
My mum in the first picture is actually white.

Doesnt matter...love it still.

Quoting:
The one in the pot, do you keep it in the garage or bury it? I see you are in zone 4 so it is amazing you are overwintering them.

In the pot, in an unheated garage....off the floor if I can swing it. (Mammoth Mums are notoriously hardy).

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh my Loretta your Mums are doing great , you even have an area just for them. Rouge you gave me a great idea to use the peony rings because I have a few of them in the garage. Last year I planted a few in the church garden and to my amazement one survived and is full of buds .I planted 8 more this year I hope they do well . Will post some pictures this week when I go back to the garden.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cytf, I wish that was my garden but those are from a public garden near me, except for the white pompom in the first pic.
Mammoth Mums are new to me. I'll have to look them up.
Around here, we have a lot of greenhouses that grow the same stuff every year. They all have a girl's name. It is probably in their best interest that the mums aren't too hardy. Besides, by the time they are ready for sale, they are so root bound, it is hard to keep them watered without putting them into another container without a hole.
Somewhere in my files, I have some photos from NYBG's mum breeding program. They dedicated a large garden to them which they have since removed. Now they do Kiku every fall which I've seen once or twice. I have no idea what they do with their selections and if they ever make the market. Here is an old blog about it.
http://blogs.nybg.org/plant-talk/2012/10/tip-of-the-week/mum-madness-vote-for-your-favorite-new-nybg-mum/#more-30171

(Zone 4b)

Quote from cytf :
Rouge you gave me a great idea to use the peony rings because I have a few of them in the garage.

I can't take credit "cytf"! That was Loretta's idea.

I was hoping by cutting mine back earlier in the season would make for a lower growing sturdier plant but still it flopped badly...lots of flowers still but a flop nonetheless :(.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
NYBG's mum breeding program.
http://blogs.nybg.org/plant-talk/2012/10/tip-of-the-week/mum-madness-vote-for-your-favorite-new-nybg-mum/#more-30171

Excellent "Loretta". I love reading about this.

Here is similar information regarding the Canadian program for hardy mums (and a mention of those Minnesota bred hardy mums).

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/gardening/hardy-mums-that-can-withstand-our-cold-winters

This message was edited Oct 13, 2016 7:40 AM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that link. I guess I'll be checking the labels now. You never know what you might find. It's hard to believe that Matchsticks is hardy. It looks like a florist variety.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I tried 'Matchsticks' and it did not come back the next year.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's what I expected. Thanks for saving me a couple of bucks.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2016 3:26 PM

(Zone 4b)

This is our latest flowering Mum. It is now November and it still isn't in full bloom:

I believe it is a "mei kyo".

Thumbnail by rouge21
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We have what I think is "Sheffield pink" that I got from Bluestone. It started to bloom yellow in the spring (not when it is supposed bloom, of course) and I called them. They said they would send me another one in the spring, but then they did bloom the color they were supposed to be. (I called them up and told them not to bother sending another one. Great customer service!) When I get a chance I will take a picture...sort of a soft coral.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

[Now that I know how to post pictures from my phone, it's very easy.]

Thumbnail by carrielamont Thumbnail by carrielamont
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice photo, carrielamont. I was actually able to find Sheffield Pink recently. I don't think I ever found it around here before.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, Loretta, I don't think I have ever seen it in a store.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

No, me either. We had two major local nurseries close up this year and so a smaller nursery stepped up their game and has been offering some great stuff. I don't think they have been noticed yet because they have quite a bit left. I hope they can keep it up and not cut back like the rest.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have gotten Sheffield twice from Bluestone and someone had some on Craigslist this year. Otherwise I have neither seen it nor heard of it. (I have no idea why I first decided that I needed some, but I am very glad that I did.) Did you buy some when you saw it?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, I did but I didn't photograph it yet. I also bought Hillside Siriaco Orange but I don't know if that one is hardy or not. It looked like it could be but I don't see any references for it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You'll like it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I came across this blog post on growing chrysanthemums. It is beautifully presented. I thought you might enjoy it for some winter reading.
http://www.growingwithplants.com/2015/12/raising-collection-of-extraordinary.html

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That was a fantastic read Loretta, thanks for sharing! Here are a couple of my Chrysanthemums...
Chrysanthemum dendrathemum 'Cambodian Queen'
Chrysanthemum Ajania pacifica in bud, then in bloom.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice to see some flowers in February. I really do like the Ajania foliage. I'm really mad at myself for leaving it in the pot last winter.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I had to have Ajania just for the foliage, the button blooms were a bonus. Have you tried propagating Chrysanthemums by cuttings? Anybody?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I haven't but that's how they do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.