Early Golden Yellow Crookneck Squash

Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

Is it a usual thing to have lots of females arriving but not many males (or any) opening at the same time? I have only 1 plant, the other one bit it during a storm. It seems to be a happy plant, planted on top of a buried catfish carcass. I had to use the 1 open male flower today to pollinate 2 females. Yesterday I couldn't pollinate an open female since there weren't any available open males. Is this normal, is this why we plant more than 1 plant? All new to gardening, so just curious. Seems like a good problem to have I suppose lol...Thanks for thoughts. This sucker keeps on growing bigger! Here she is, used a cage we had here when she started growing, I think I can say it is working well.

Thumbnail by AceBug Thumbnail by AceBug Thumbnail by AceBug
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

How did it go? Yes, normally the male flowers open a couple days before the females. If you haven't noticed many pollinators in your garden, then the best thing to do is hand pollinate, which you did. Did the flowers present fruit?

Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

Lots of females and I did hand pollinate successfully! It was super easy to do and had plenty of vegg from it. Great growth and the short cage worked wonderful. I chopped off lower stems with leaves as needed and I pulled the plant a few weeks ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.