a tree story pt.5 \"pictures\"

Two Rivers, WI

The trees in the left pot were the pampered ones, the trees to the right had to deal with a lower quality soil with a lot more wind,sun,and neglect. As you see there is little difference between the two. Love them scrappy little ginkgos. Thanks for looking. Sorry for the upside down picture.

Thumbnail by duescher22
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Good pictures and good story.

Now: why don't you put all the five parts in one posting? You can reply to your own post as many times as you want, and don't have to start an entirely new post every time.

This would make it easy for anyone in the future to follow your work, AND for you to report in the future on the progress of these seedlings.

orangeville, Canada

Your Ginkgos look very healthy, despite the rough conditions that you mention. Sorry I didn't see your earlier posts about them. What are you plans for them? They can become a nice big shade tree! ☺

Two Rivers, WI

I am not really sure what i am going to do with them. I am for sure going to nurse them for another year. Since I learned a lot about them there second year will be easier. Soon as they go dormant there each are getting a pot of there own. I would even give some away too someone take care of then or not cut it down if they get a female tree.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I love Ginkgos too. Did you grow them from seed? Are you growing other trees in pots?

Two Rivers, WI

I did grow them from seed there actually quite easy to start from seed. Out of 100 seeds 60 of mine grew. With less than average care at the time they sprouted. I have spruce seedlings and bislecone pine seedlings as well at this time. I have a new batch of ginkgo seeds i am starting in spring. "60 more" ill give the new seeds better care since I learned a lot from the first batch.

I started some Japanese Red Pine from seed, but then I didn't know what to do with them! I had planted one in my yard and liked it (also considered Bristlecone, but they are so sticky and sharp I chose the Red Pine).

Two Rivers, WI

I bought my bislecone seeds. Mine grew 1" this year but there slow growth is expected. Thinking of using them to learn bonsai. I am also going try out dawn redwood from seeds. And maybe a seedlings plant sale. Hahaha. There just fun to grow and i am an addict.

I had a very brief try at Bonsai. I discovered the plants need to be nursed along, watered daily at least, due to the tiny pots-too difficult for me with my busy life. But more recently I have seen photos of people making bonsai-like miniaturized trees in their yards, grown in the ground. I could do that. I think a gnarled, twisted miniature Bristlecone would be a terrific focal point.
Dawn redwood grow well around here. My sister planted one at her prior house. Man did that thing grow fast!

Two Rivers, WI

I think for bonsai since it readily happens in nature one would just have to mimic them conditions. Some trees just work better than others. Like the bislecones they live in a harsh environment in cracks of rocks.

I read (recommended I think I recall by VV): The Bristlecone Book: A Natural History of the World's Oldest Trees by Ronald M. Lanner. Lots of photos illustrating the old gnarly ones.Very interesting tree.

Two Rivers, WI

Thanks. Ill check it out. Would anyone know how much soil it takes to fill a 2 gallon pot?

2 gallons is about 0.33 cubic feet.
Cubic feet is the measurement usually used on bags of potting soil.
But it does vary some, depending on how packed or fluffed up the mix is. It's a starting point anyway.
Plus, you don't fill it up quite all the way.

Two Rivers, WI

Thanks. I have 60 2 gallon pots to fill soon and need to know how big of a bank loan ill need to take out for the soil. Hahahahah

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.