What's the best frugal substitution you've found?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Some folks substitute baking powder for scouring powder or toothpaste, others make their own shampoo or laundry soap.

My personal favorite frugal substitute is using white vinegar instead of fabric softener. Not only do I save a few bucks (with three kids we do a LOT of laundry!), but it seems to help with allergies and rashes (my DD has exczema.)

We also stopped ordering out pizza unless we're desperate for time AND have a coupon. In the past, this was a Friday-night "treat" that cost around $20 per week. By making my own pizza, I spend about $3 on ingredients, I can make it in the same time it would take to have one delivered, and we put the $20 in a jar to save for vacation - over the course of a year, it really adds up!

So what's your favorite frugal substitution, and how much do you estimate you save monthly or annually?

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!