I am quite impressed with Rodgersia

(Zone 4b)

I have had "Bronze Peacock" in our shade section for a few years but this season it really did its thing. It bloomed in mid to late June but these *same* flowers held up beautifully providing a complete summer of interest.

First picture shows the bright colors for the young fresh flowers in mid June.

The second shot shows these exact *same* blooms 3 months later!

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted one last year and it has been a frustrating battle to protect it from the deer. I have a cage around the remnant now and am hoping to nurture it to survival. Once they get big enough, I think they'll be able to fend for themselves. We'll see. I'm pleased to see how nice yours looks to reassure me it's worth the fight. I have a more boring older cultivar which doesn't have the dark foliage and pink flowers of the newer cultivars; of course, the deer couldn't care less about the older boring one!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't see Rodgersia enough for there to be any boring cultivars. It's nice to see one in bloom. Thanks for posting Rouge.
Whenever I come across this in the nurseries, it is always a little stem that looks like it is dying back and about to croak. I always figured I didn't have enough moisture to keep it looking like yours, Rouge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.