Tomato Plant, Leaf spots?

Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

They are black or dark brown, located on bottom or middle of plant, then leaves seem to die off. I have picked off several leaves already. There was a lot of rain prior to this for a week or two and mega humidity. The tomatoes themselves seem to be perfectly happy so far. Got a late start so just now have tomatoes growing. I believe the tomato variety is a Cherokee Purple, don't know yet. The plant does have some close tomato plants around it, my fault for not spacing far enough. This is it in front and there are 2 plants behind. So is it from the wetness or is it blight, or something else? New gardener here and don't know what blight looks like. I am making another post to show another tomato plant. Frankly all of the plants in garden this year have had leaf spots of some sort and whatnot, even the basil. We have an abundance of leaf hoppers here...heck I don't know!

Thumbnail by AceBug Thumbnail by AceBug Thumbnail by AceBug Thumbnail by AceBug
Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

It's probably early blight or Septoria leaf spot usually caused by water splashing up from the soil and carrying fungus spores to the leaves. Neither will kill the plant or damage the tomatoes, and plants can be sprayed with a copper fungicide to control the spread of the disease. The spots can also be caused by inconsistent moisture. Leafhoppers can carry a virus, but in that case you'll usually see curled up leaves and young leaves that turn a purplish color. If you start seeing fuzzy, brown/gray, crispy leaves, then your plants have late blight. This is a highly contagious fungus that cannot be treated. Yank out the infected plants and do not compost them. Google "early blight" "late blight" "septoria leaf spot" on tomatoes and look at the pictures to see which ones resemble what you're seeing in your garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.