Something on my mango tree

Moscow, Russia

Hello!

Can somebody help me please what's happening with my mango tree now. I cultivate it from seed in a pot on my window sill. During the growth process something white began to appear. And now it seems that something eats it, because the leaves look damaged. I tried to use a spray from aphids but it's still there. How to get rid of them and how to care the tree to restore it?

Thank you

Thumbnail by Jean_P
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

It's hard to see since I am on my phone, but it might be something like spider mites. Can you see any little bugs, or is it just like a fungus or something growing on it? Have you tried neem oil? It works on bugs and a lot of other plant illnesses

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

It does look like a spider mite. If you shake the plant, do they drop or fly? How big is your plant? I would repot with new soil, wash the pot very well if you are going to use it again or change it. Also wipe the counter and surrounding area. You can rinse the upper part of the plant with a touch of soap and water but don't go too crazy doing the roots.
If the plant isn't too big, you can wipe it down with cotton balls and cotton swabs with hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol. You have to be persistent. Make sure you get into the crouches of the branches. Just a wipe is good, don't soak it.
If you have a house spider, you can try releasing on the plant and see if it eats them. What is the ladybug situation in Florida? Can you find a couple of ladybug larvae and release them on your plant? They do a good job. But of course, you can't use the sprays or alcohol if you go this route. I find predators are the best defense against soft bodied insects. Adult ladybugs are good too but they might refuse your feast and fly away.
Anyway, it is possible to fix this but be aware that spider mites can spread to other plants so keep it separate. I think spider mites are general feeders and not host specific. And if you aren't extremely attached to the plant and you have other plants that you want to protect, you might just get rid of it.
Hope that helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.