id, McDonough, Ga

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Citrusy aroma when crushed. Small trunk in front of the pine, tiny hard seeds

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, id'd as Morella cerifera, bayberry. Now I am confused, I thought the wax myrtles were bad, but I love this aroma...

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Never heard that Wax Myrtle was bad, in fact I'm pretty sure that is native in all the coastal and southern states from NJ to TX.

Maybe you just heard from someone with Morellaphobia...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry VV, I have it somewhere in my head I saw it listed as invasive... will have to go find it.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, Looked everywhere, not sure when I came across that - perjaps Fl... now to propagate next time I get close to one...
Apparently Hawaii version makes them unhappy, tho

This message was edited Aug 17, 2016 9:47 AM

Are you out on the road (as if that's odd) currently?

Mrs. VV and I are leaving the SF Bay area, beginning our trek back home - and wondering if we should wave at oncoming DGer traffic.

Will likely travel through Kings Canyon NP and Sequoia National Park tomorrow, and spend night outside Las Vegas. Then, I-15 to I-70 up to Canyonlands National Park. I-70 to Denver area, and then we have to decide if we want to commit to Kansas (I-70) or Nebraska (I-80) to get us back to the Ohio River valley region, and I-64 home to KY.

Should've check in with you before we headed west, but we had a big old time going through MN, SD, WY, UT, NV on the way to California. Lots of national parks and national monuments - and a zillion motorcyclists around Sturgis.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

That time of year for Sturgis- I hAve been seeing them heading homewards.Tonite I head for Wis- but prob head back east. East coast hwys are jammed, wrecks on I64. I like your itinerary, I watch FB site for Twisted Truckers. All the people are dedicated to drama pictures of wrecks, fires floods - but I get heads up on traffic jams. Seems like a lot of trucks arent just blowing tires, the catAlytic converters regen at 1400* and Petes and Freightshakers are burning on slowdowns and collisions. Night hwys are fastest as the trucks mostly keep 3-4 drivers in them so they dont stop. Immigrant drivers that do not speak English nor talk nor know rules of the road. Dont let em tailgate ya- they driveby following with one eye on your bumper like the old men tryin to get home when the bar closes.
Nebraska is windy grasslands and fast traffic with the Platte River, Kansas more of the same, no rivers, but you have Post County and its limestone post size oddities...and Ks has a few rolling hills tucked into little places.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2016 11:44 AM

I think you've settled it for me. Speeds will be about the same. Scenery will be about the same.

Nebraska has the upper hand because of Classic Viburnums. A little off the beaten path in Upland, NE - but no finer people with lots of goodies I can't resist.

http://www.classicviburnums.com/

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ummm, I am SO gonna have to get a Viburnam book...on my way to RI, safe travels and good eating!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.