indoor plants

Eustis, FL

does anyone know of any good flowering indoor plants that would be fun to hybridize? I spend 50 hours in my little shop a week and thought it might help break up the boredom a bit.

thanks!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

begonias

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I breed zinnias as a hobby, and grow them both outside in warm weather and indoors during the Winter. Zinnias are, however, NOT a house plant, and require a bit of technique to grow indoors. Some people breed and grow morning glories indoors.

ZM

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

African Violets, Streptocarpus, Hoya, Adenium(if have sunny window or porch).

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

I don't know if hybridizing will help to pass the time - i somewhat envision you waiting next to pot goin' : Go, Go, Go! Germinate now!

I'd think if patience is not your thing, you could try painted nettle / Solenostemon, as it will show very quickly if a hybrid is worth keeping.

Eustis, FL

Quote from pmmGarak :
I don't know if hybridizing will help to pass the time - i somewhat envision you waiting next to pot goin' : Go, Go, Go! Germinate now!

I'd think if patience is not your thing, you could try painted nettle / Solenostemon, as it will show very quickly if a hybrid is worth keeping.

Well I'm patient as far as giving them time to germinate and grow, but I like the idea of painted nettle shows hybrids very quickly so i think that's a good start. thank you!

Nah, probably won't pass the time, but I have been wanting to experiment with hybridizing and I spend most of my time indoors at my shop. I am trying to hybridize hibiscus at home but not being there very much except mornings and nights I wanted something that I could work on here.

quick question, do you know if all coleus will hyrbadize with each other, of if there are specific ones that do best together?

Everyone else's responses were great too thank you

This message was edited Aug 23, 2016 4:11 PM

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

sorry, i don't have any experience with painted nettles - I was just guessing, and maybe a little bit extrapolating from my Digitalis experiments - both a variegated D. Lutea and the hairy leafs of D.Purpurea indicate rather quickly if did something right.

hibiscus sounds interesting - how long do the tropical Hibiscus take to flower from seed? I've only ever tried Hibiscus coccineus, which flowered in second year for me, and the self-seeding H. syriacus my parents have seems to flower quite fast - second or third year, maybe?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

If you are detail oriented and like fiddly difficult things with a challenge, maybe the Hoyas. I have been reading a bit about them- mimicking the insects that pollinate them can be a struggle, requiring a magnifying glass and something like a cat whisker! I might try this myself!
Here is a link to one company in Miami that sells multiple varieties. They also sell Adeniums which would also be fun, but unlike Hoyas they need sun to grow well. I have never bought from them, and nobody has said good or bad things about them in the Plant Scout rankings here in DG.

http://www.adeniumrose.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&sort=20a&page=2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.